Continued C34 Production?

Previous topic - Next topic

tonywright

There has been a 34 at the last two Toronto boat shows (January 2006 and 2007).  Having a boat there seems to depend on a new owner agreeing to have their boat displayed, usually in return for some concessions from the dealer. Maybe all the new C34 owners in other areas wanted to sail rather than see their boat at the show?  :D

It was at the 2006 show that we firmed up our decision to get a 34 as our next boat, rather than the 320 we had been considering.  Being able to do a side by side comparison made it a no-brainer.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

lazybone

[/quote]
Maybe someone else with a better memory can fill in the blank but I can't remmember the last time I saw a 34 at a boat show (Atlantic City, Annapolis & Philly) and I've been going for more than a few years.  I don't think Catalina ever "pushed" our boat.
[/quote]

Hmmm,  maybe then its just a northeast thing, I wonder why Frank B's ignoring us? :cry4`   :?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Paul Blumenfeld

I've seen the 34 both at the Long Beach boat show and the Channel Islands boat show for the last several years.  Maybe they are easy to show in Southern California since they are built here.  The Long Beach show started today and there is suppose to be a 34 in the water.

2007 CATALINA YACHT ANCHORAGE CALENDAR OF EVENTS

Thursday September 20th – Sunday September 23rd
Long Beach Boat Show
on display:

Catalina 309, 320, 34, 387, 42, 440, 470 
C-Dory 25 Cruiser, 22 Cruiser, 22 Angler, 22 Center Cockpit, 19 Angler
Tom Cat 255
Ranger Tug 21 ec and Ranger Tug 25
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Wayne

Paul has a good point.  The 34 and 36 (at least up until now) have been built in So Cal; the 350 in Florida.  Depending on which coast one lives, shipping will add several thousand dollars to the price of one model or another.  Does anybody know where the 320 is built?
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

paule

The 320 is built in Florida

Also check out the update on the catalina web page the 36 is not listed but the 34 is

Paul
Yachta Yachta Yachta
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I just got back from San Diego and heard that the Catalina dealer in S.D. lost their franchise or contract to sell Catalina Yachts because Catalina is going to start selling dirrectly, eliminating brokers and wil be opening their own sales offices in major cities. Anyone else heard anything like this?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

tommyt

I do not think that the continuation of the C34, or the dropping of it, has much impact on the marketability of used Catalinas. In fact, if anything it may raise value somewhat based on limited availability. Whether they continue with C34 and C36, will not impact the pleasure I get from owning the C34.

That said, I would hope that Catalina is not thinking of desolving their dealer network in favor of in house sales. Hopefully the rumor is sour grapes from a dealer that did lose their Catalina franchise for good reason. If Catalina ends up doing their own sales you can almost guarantee that their service level will fall, their costs will rise, they will pass those costs on to the consumer more directly, and the franchise will suffer. There is a reason that most dealers represent more than one brand...........spreading expenses and the bottom line!

Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

lazybone

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on September 23, 2007, 09:23:34 PM
I just got back from San Diego and heard that the Catalina dealer in S.D. lost their franchise or contract to sell Catalina Yachts because Catalina is going to start selling dirrectly, eliminating brokers and wil be opening their own sales offices in major cities. Anyone else heard anything like this?

Silly,
The investment Catalina would have to make in order for this to happen would be enormous.  I've seen numerous franchises get the boot from Catalina and I'm sure they all had sour grapes.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

sail4dale

//Here's tha latest scoop from the horses mouth.  A good friend is related to Gerry Douglas and they quiried him regarding the continued production.  This should settle the rumors.

"We saw Gerry Douglas at the island last weekend and got the word on the 34.  YES, they are still making the boat but production has moved to Florida.  Gerry said that Catalinas sell far better on the East Coast than out here.  Think he said the ratio is something like 10 to 1.  Sounds reasonable as there is a longer coastline to cruise back there."
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

frankr

Was at the Annapolis Boat show Friday - 22, 250,28 309, 320 34, 350 and 387 are alive The 27, 310 and 36 are done - no more.  Some production is being shifted to Florida.

Stu Jackson

Just occurred to me, as it might have to Frank and Gerry and Sharon:  Tiger Woods and a lot of other rich people live in Florida BECAUSE;  no taxes... 

Connect the dots... :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Momentum M

Hi guys...I've just checked the catalina Y site and it confirms Frankr's saying....the 34 is still there but no more 27,310,36, etc....
See site: http://www.catalinayachts.com/
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Ron Hill

Guys : If the C34 were to go out of production, would it really make a difference to C34 owners ? - as long as the Catalina Factory were still there to support the hulls that had been produced?

I didn't hear of any group of C30 owners that "locked arms and jumped off the cliff" when C30 production stopped?!?  The factory is still there to support those 6000 ++ hulls out there. 
A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Bob K

We were told today at the Boat Show that they had indeed made the decision  a while back to drop the C34, and then changed their minds.  Hence the confusion.......
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

I also spoke with Gerry at Annapolis.  He didn't confirm it, but the replacement for the 36 will probably be in the 37' range, fills a gap in the line up.  Also a rumor (not from Gerry) that the stern may be a bit narrower than the current designs.  The 34 will be made in 2008, but said it would be a yearly decision.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA