Replacing the companionway hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

reedbr

Apparently I need a diet.  When I was putting on the main and standing on the closed companionway hatch yesterday, it cracked.  It was the corner near the opening end and there is a solid all-the-way-through crack from the white pull lip, through a screw hole for the lower teak stop/support, and on to the port edge.  I drilled a new hole to the support bar underneath and added another screw as a temporary fix. 

How do I fix this long term in the least expensive manner?  First, for removal, can I assume I have to remove the whole fiberglass cover which extends under the traveler a most the way forward to the main salon hatch?  Where can I get a replacement?  Should my first call be to Catalina?

Any help is appreciated.  My MkII has an all Plexiglas companionway hatch, not the newer one I have heard of which is fiberglass with Plexiglas inserts.

Thanks.     
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

reedbr

Nobody's had to repair or replace their own main hatch?!  No tips before I dig into this job?  No ideas on how to "weld" Plexiglas? 
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

Stu Jackson

Brian

This is a new one to me, I have never read about it before, yours is a truly unique experience.

Your idea of getting in touch with Catalina is appropriate.  The details of how to remove the sea hood to remove the hatch is the key.  At the same time you could inquire about ordering a replacement, or consider having a local plastics company design and build a replacement.

It would be very interesting to the group if you could take some pictures while you are doing the work. especially the removal of the sea hood.  I know we'd all be interested in how you resolve the issue.

Only other thing I can think of us to post the question with the C36 group on their website message board (requires joining, it's free) or perhaps Tom or Rod will notice this here and comment if they've had a similar problem with their almost identical construction details on the C36 Mark IIs.

Humorously:  You could avoid the removal if you install a dodger - I can't think of any way to step on that puppy with a dodger installed, plus it'll keep the rainwater out of the crack!  :roll:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Brian, amazing coincidence:  Check out the May 2007 Mainsheet magazine, Tech Notes section, page T10, C380 -- replacement slider article.  He bought it from Catalina yachts [about $250].

This is just another example of the reason that I recommend that everyone read all of the articles in ALL of the boat sections.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

reedbr

Thanks Stu.  I must have missed that, and I was reading that issue last night!  I specifically remember the 380 section where the guy was replacing his Beckson ports.  I'll have to go back and check again.

So far no response to my e-mail to Catalina Parts.
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

Stu Jackson

Uh...., OK let's try this again: Catalina yachts doesn't do emails very well.  They build boats.  I am not condoning their poor service reputation, only saying that if we follow our own advice, and call them by telephone, you could expect to obtain better results.  Faxes also work, addressed to a particular individual.