rigid boom vang

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

I am in the process of installing the Garhauer Rigid Boom Vang, and would like some ideas from others that have installed this rigid vang on its performance (satisfaction) and the routing of the mainsheet, as its standard routing (underneath boom to mast) interferes with rigid vang body!

Bernd Mueller

Stu Jackson

1.  There was a thread on this message board about this equipment some time ago.  I suggest you use the Message Board Search Engine (blue box, upper right hand corner), and check it out.  Performance is great.  The search should lead you to a discussion of topping lifts as well.

2.   Our PO boat had the Garhauer vang installed when we bought it.  There is a much larger boom bail installed on the boom that holds the upper end of the vang, and one of the mainsheet blocks was relocated to another one of the smaller bails.  If you need more details, I can sketch it out for you or take a photo and email it to you.  Let me know by email direct.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

This is a correction to my earlier response after looking at (and sailing!) the boat yesterday.  The vang is NOT attached to the larger bail, the mainsheet block is.  Ignore fist message!

My arrangement is very similar to Ron's.  The Garhauer rigid vang is attached directly to the boom under the third bail from the rear of the boom.  The third bail is the larger one.  The mainsheet block is attached to that third larger bail, and easily clears the vang.  The mainsheet line runs down to the base of the mast parallel to the vang from the third bail, then to a block at the aft base of the mast and back to the cockpit on the starboard side through the fairleads under the mainsheet traveller track.  I did NOT use the deck organizer for the mainsheet from the mast base block; it runs directly back to the inboard-most of the holes under the traveller track.  

I replaced the old mainsheet blocks with the new Garhauer open-body blocks last year, very nice.  Also upgraded my traveller to the 5 part purchase.

I ran the mainsheet to a new sheetstopper, by removing and replacing the old clam cleat, to improve the lead to the winch.  The sheetstopper is left open when sailing with the mainsheet on the starboard cabintop winch.  I've discussed this wild idea previously in great detail on this message board (see my May 10, 2001 post called "Sheetstoppers" under a question about rope clutches - you can use the message board search engine to find it or just browse by date).

The foward boom bail is not used at all for the mainsheet, although I do use it for tying a single block onto it to gain additional purchase for the mainsail outhaul (one of Dave Davis' ideas).  

My vang control line goes to port through the lower vang block, then to the port deck organizer, and back to a swiveling standup cam cleat on the port side near the forward base of the dodger.  With all the purchase available from the vang itself, I've never needed to use the  winch, although I could use the port side cabin top winch if need be because the swivel cam cleat is far enough forward to run the line to the winch with a fair lead.

Seems like your layout for your lines will depend on what lines you already have, what space is available on your deck organizers, and where you choose to deadend the lines based on your existing configuration and hardware, along with Ron's suggestions for using additional leading-line hardware under the traveller track.  Either way, it seems we both used the same ideas at the boom bails.

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on January 20, 2002 at 09:51 AM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."