Galley sink removal & installing TV antenna

Previous topic - Next topic

mike baker

We have only owned "Gray Hawk" for a little over a year.  I have already made several changes and plan more, thanks to this web site and the Tech Notes.

The next time we visit the boat this winter I would like to bring the galley sink home to modify the drainage system.  How do I get the sink out?  Is it held in by sealant, metal clips or what?

Also, the "Admiral" says she wants a TV antenna.  If I mount one part way up the mast, how do I drill through the mast and into the conduit inside without damaging the wires already there?  I suppose the existing wires could all be removed first, but I am hoping for a simplier way.  Any suggestions?

Mike Baker #815 "Gray Hawk"

mike baker

Ron,

I kow I don't have to take the galley sink out to midify the drain.  However, if taking it out isn't too difficult, that seems like it might be an easier way.  Plus, by doing most of the work ahead of time at home, we will have more time for sailing this spring.

My mast is unstepped now.  My problem is drilling through the mast and into the conduit inside without damaging the existing wires.  As for installing a TV antenna at the top of the mast, all the ones I have seen so far are too large for this.  There are wind instruments, anchor light and VHF antenna already there.  Do you know of a small one that would be suitable?

Stu Jackson

Mike

Al Watson took his whole galley counter aprt, and wrote it up in Projects with a link to his own website.  This was in addition to his article on the sink improvement. Seems a lot more work to get the sink out and then back in for what you need to do.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

another option is a portable antenna.  I made a "circular Rabbit Ears" that I run up the mast with the main sheet.  I don't have a DC powered TV so I don't need the antenna when away from the slip, I store it in the car.  I think if I had the mast pulled, I would opt for a permanent set up like Ron has discussed, but if you would like the plans for my antenna I'll be happy to email them.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

captaingary

One suggestion for the antenna that has worked well for me for the last 5 years is to install a A/B switch for your VHF radio and run that to your TV. Make sure you get an A/B switch that has a seperate load antenna so you can't damage your radio by keying the mike while the switch is in the TV position. BoatsUS makes a switch that sells for about $35. You will need to get an adaptor from Radio Shack to convert the one leg to your TV cable. It performs better than a seperate TV antenna because of the extra height.
Gary Schneider
Windmill #1231
Long Beach  CA

mike baker

Thanks for all the responces.  You've talked me into it -- I'll leave the sink in place and work on it through the cabintry.

Ron -- A special thanks for putting me onto the Aug. Tech Notes about the Hinkley antenna.  I had forgotten about it.  This sounds like the best alternative and I think I'll go this route.

Thanks to all