Seattle Lofts/Recutting jib

Previous topic - Next topic

wind dancer

Does anyone have a Seattle area loft that they'd recommend for recutting a jib?  I got a quote from North that was over half the cost of new. . . .ouch.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Craig Illman

Jay - You might try Schattauer out near Shilshole. http://www.schattauersails.com They've done some reasonable repair work for me. I've also bought sails from Staaf up in Bellingham. http://www.sailoft.com  I'm not sure who around the area might be the least expensive. Quantum is also out at Shilshole above the West Marine store.

Craig

wind dancer

After some calling around, it looks like North is in the ballpark.  Part of the high cost was quoting Sunbrella for the UV strip instead of Dacron which increases both material and labor cost.  And loft labor rates around here are higher than I've seen quoted from other areas around the country.  C'est la vie.

Does anyone have a recommendation re: Dacron vs Sunbrella for the UV strip?  Being a used sail, should I just get it recut (not get a UV strip)  and save the money for eventual replacement?  The sail fabric is in good condition according to the loft.

The sail was a 110, recutting would make it a 100.  I expect that to be a good size, any comments?

Ron Hill

Jay:  I'm not too sure why they even sell Dacron as a UV strip.  If you plan on keeping the sail about 5 years then it might be worth the cost of sunbrella.  Probably the reason you're having to have the sail cut down is that the Dacron didn't do the UV protection job.
Depending on how old the sail is you might consider just getting a new sail and try to sell off the one you've got.  A thought.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

johan

Jay,

Have you shopped around for a new jib?
I've just ordered a new foresail (140%, crosscut, 6.3 dacron) for my C36 from Island Planet sails in Oregan. cost with sunbrella UV and foam luff is $1567 delivered.
I also considered going your route but figured it wasn't worth it for an old sail.

Tony

wind dancer

I'm considering skipping the UV strips entrirely, cutting the cost by 2/3rds.  I've been thinking about the sails longevity, and I would guess that it might have another 4 or 5 years left.  Not sure the cost to add sunbrella ($500) is worth it if I'm going to need a new sail so soon.

Unfortunately I don't have the boat bucks for a new sail right now.  Just bought the boat six months ago, and am in the middle of refitting her (alternator, batteries, canvas, etc.).  If anybody is looking to buy new sails, I'd consider buying your cast-offs.  My main is a bit strectched too.

Jon Schneider

You might get three+ years out of a heavy Dacron UV strip, which gets you in the ball park of your expected mortality (of the sail, that is).  I'm curious, though, why are cutting it down 10%?  IMO, that hardly seems worth it unless you constantly sail in 20+ knots.  And I have to say, $500 for Sunbrella seems astronomical.  You might want to check with Sail Care, a "mail order" sail restorer in PA (sailcare.com).  Maybe they can fix this up for less.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Juul

When I asked a similiar question last fall I was told I could expect about a year out of a roller furled headsail without a UV strip.  I guess an other option is to pull the sail off after each use.  I have a 150, too much work for me, a 100 might not be that bad.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

wind dancer

Quote from: Jon Schneider on March 06, 2007, 04:45:34 AM
You might get three+ years out of a heavy Dacron UV strip, which gets you in the ball park of your expected mortality (of the sail, that is).  I'm curious, though, why are cutting it down 10%?  IMO, that hardly seems worth it unless you constantly sail in 20+ knots.  And I have to say, $500 for Sunbrella seems astronomical.  You might want to check with Sail Care, a "mail order" sail restorer in PA (sailcare.com).  Maybe they can fix this up for less.

Cutting it down 10% because I have to, the leech is pretty torn up.  I have received three prices for Sunbrella UV strips now: $500, $550, and $334 which was mail order so shipping must be added to the cost.  The quote for the actual repair work wasn't too bad.

wind dancer

Quote from: Ken Juul on March 06, 2007, 04:52:44 AM
When I asked a similiar question last fall I was told I could expect about a year out of a roller furled headsail without a UV strip.  I guess an other option is to pull the sail off after each use.  I have a 150, too much work for me, a 100 might not be that bad.

I was told four to five years without UV strip.  This sail is older that, and is in OK shape, with the exception of the leech. 

Ken Juul

We are about 10 degrees south of you so maybe our UV exposure is stronger.  I grew up in the Seattle area, remember getting sunburned on even overcast summer days so I am not sure why the difference.  Maybe the sail lofts would rather sell you a new sail than repair old ones.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ed Shankle

I spoke to the folks at our Doyle loft a couple of years ago and they advised against the Sunbrella for cost and weight reasons. They said stick to the Dacron.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

David Sanner

I damaged a sail in a matter of months keeping it up without a UV covering.
This was in the winter/spring months in San Francisco. (Lat 38)
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

tonywright

On my last genny Doyle used a panel of dacron as the UV protector. It was OK still after 6 seasons, but looking a bit tired. The cloth underneath was fine.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

wind dancer

Update:  I had North recut the sail and reinforce the foot and clew.  I skipped the UV stip as it would have tripled the price and the sail is fairly worn.  They did a good job for a fair price with a quick turnaround.  :thumb: