Problem with in-mast furling system

Previous topic - Next topic

crimmins

I have a 2003 Catalina 34 which is equipped with a Sparcraft in-mast furling system. In recent months I have encountered problems using the system. When I pull the mail sail out or furl it in, the sail repeatedly binds and then releases. I have alway been able to get the sail out and in, but the constant binding/releasing bothers me. The car that runs along the boom moves freely and the sail does not appear to be jamming in the mast. Any suggestions as to the problem, and more importantly, a solution?

tonywright

A thought: How much vang tension do you have on when this occurs? Have you tried changing it, and does it make a difference?
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Jon Schneider

Also check halyard tension (too little, and it might be getting momentarily wrapped).  I don't know this furler, but could the lower bearings be caked with salt and soot or other debris lodged in there?  If the halyard is highly tensioned, loosen it touch to see if this relieves the pressure on the swivels.  If it does, you'll at least know that it's the swivels and most likely the bearings.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Juul

Similair subject was discussed recently on
www.catalinaowners.com

in the big boat forum

I just looked, the thread has been removed.  Try a search, bunch of topics come up.  Many have to do with Hunters, but they use Seldon masts also.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

David Arnold

I had what sounds like the exact same problem with my in mast furling.  As was suggested, try easing up on the tension on the main halyard and see if that does the trick.  It did for me.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Stu Jackson

Here's the link to the article Ken Juul referred to: http://archives.sailboatowners.com/pviewarch.htm?fno=34&sku=2006120151158.12&id=396233&ptl=In%20Mast%20Furler&id=396233  and another one: http://archives.sailboatowners.com/pviewarch.htm?fno=20&sku=2006338183942.99&id=437407&ptl=#2006339050147.53

Go to Ken's link, click on archives, then search for "in mast furl", find exact phrase.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."