Garhauer Mainsheet Blocks

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Glennon

Being the proud owner of a magnificent 1987 Standard rig, fin keel, I would like to make her perform as best she can as she dances across Buzzards Bay on a fresh breeze, without interfering too with my re-hydration.

With that said, I'd like to upgrade my mainsheet blocks, as my sailing partner did and continually reminds me of how effortless his trimming has become.  I did up grade the traveler a couple of years ago to the new Garhauer 6:1 and it did make the world of difference.  SO, if I contact Garhauer, and just request a set of SL mainsheet blocks for my 34, will that be sufficient... or do I need to tell them specifically the blocks that I need?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, If I request a rigid boom vang, are there any "package deals" available, as there are for 30 owners?
Happy Hollidays to all !
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ron Hill

Tom : Call Garhauer and tell them that you have a 1987 C34.
What I did was to only change out the 3 ( NON SWIVELING)single blocks on the boom.  The blocks that attach to the traveler are the originals and work just fine.  A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Tom, I was at the Annapolis Boat Show a couple of years ago and they had the working fraction of a C34 boom and traveler with all of the recommended blocks.  Bill Felgenhauer, the owner of Garhauer Marine, wrote down all of the part numbers I would need.  They are:

5013 UB ( qty 3)
5014 UB (1)
6013 UB (1)
5017 UB (1)
5019 UB (stand-up)

I still haven't done the upgrade (did do the traveler upgrade), but might this year.  Don't know about any package deals, but it can't hurt to ask.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Tom

My records indicate I bought Series 40 blocks from Garhauer in March of 2001.  They've changed somewhat their series of blocks, so you'll have to check what it is you personally want to buy.  I was very careful in picking out each block catalog number.  One thing that's very important:  I bought a single block for the mast base, where the mainsheet turns down and then over to the deck organizer.  I neglected to ask them to provide the proper fastener for this block, which should simply slide into the pin at the base of the mast.  I had to purchase a separate D shackle to fit the hole through the pin and attach the block.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : If you call Garhauer and get Bill, Susan or Guido and tell them the year of your C34 and what the block is used for - it's been my experience you'll get the correct block (complete). 
Also tell them if you've changed the size of the original line as that may mean a larger/smaller sheave (and hence a differant block).    :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

tom, as ron said, if you call garhauer and tell them you want to upgrade your main sheet blocks, they will help you. last season, i called them to ask if there was a main sheet block upgrade, they said yes and sold me a new 6:1 purchase for $150.00, as a kit, 4 new blocks for the boom and a triple block for the traveler. much cheaper than buying separately. excellent upgrade and makes hauling in  so much easier....jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jim Price

Echo what Stu said  - be sure to let them know what blocks are going to be used on the mast collar.  I replaced all of my blocks 3 years ago and Garhauer was able to put the correct shackles on the blocks that go on the mast collar - and I replaced some singles with doubles due to new line routing.

You have almost no clearance so it is important to let them do the work for you.  Mine fit perfect.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Tom Glennon

Thanks for the information.  I will call them and let them know I have an '87.  While I'm at it, I think I am going to order the ridgid Boom Vang. Do any of you know if it will be necessary to do the wire tracing for the boom/mast as they suggest? Or, if I just tell them it's for a Catalina 34, they will send the correct fittings?

Happy Hollidays to all!  :santa

Jon Schneider

I didn't have to do a tracing when I ordered one from Garhauer for my 1990.
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Tom : As Jon said - a tracing is not necessary. 
Wrote a mainsheet article when I installed my ridged Vang back around 1998 - look in your CD.   They'll give you the correct fittings when you tell them you got a 1987 C34.  You'll have to drill and tap about 16 holes (as I recall) to install it.   You'll also have to slightly change the routing of the mainsheet line, by eliminating the block just under the goose neck.  Don't forget to  treat each machine bolt thread with grease or lanacoat. 
I found that with the ridged vang I seldom use the traveler when sailing into the wind - just let out some mainsheet line.  You're going to like the ridged vang improvement.     :thumb:   :santa
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

I would add one addition to Ron's description of the installation that I learned from a great local rigger on Long Island: when attaching stainless equipment to aluminum spars, take a plastic milk carton and cut a gasket out of it to use as a barrier between the SS and the aluminum (obviously applies to all dissimilar metal situations).  Works really well.  Naturally, you still need to use Lanocote on the bolts, as Ron recommended.
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Tom Glennon

Thank you all for your input! This Association is ALMOST as good as our boats!  :santa

Stu Jackson

Tom, our boat came with the vang installed (PO had it done).  I just recalled Ron's earlier post about changing the routing of the mainsheet.  What had been done on our boat was the boom bail where the vang meets the boom was doubled in size, and the mainsheet then was led forward along the same line as the vang to the base of the mast.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Here's the block at the base of the mast:

Stu Jackson

A better mid bail picture