Anchor Survey

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Please vote for your primary anchor in the latest "Question of the Month".  Will there be a favorite type?   

According to the "members List" there are 484 members of the C34IA.  Lets see if we can get more than 50 votes on this one.  Everybody has at least one anchor!

Link to question
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3022.0
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ken Juul on June 29, 2006, 10:04:26 AM
According to the "members List" there are 484 members of the C34IA. 

Just a clarification

There are almost 700 members of the C34 IA.  Members of this forum are not necessarily members of the C34 International Association, although many certainly are.  All are welcome to Join.  http://www.c34.org/join_top.html -- click on Join, fill out the form and snail mail the check.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ken : From what I've seen on this net, anchor preference is right after religion, politics and just before type of engine oil / type battery "Gel/AGM/wet cell and 6v/12v.  Good Luck  :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Also includes whether to sleep in the aft or forward cabins...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Thought I would try something a little on the edge to try and up participation :clap

Maybe when the numbers are in we will have an answer, rather than opinions.  I have purposely stayed away from the best place to sleep for that very reason!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve Hansen

My boat only came with a Danforth and a Fortress Danforth. The Fortress is really easy to handle, light and strong for those who don't have a windlass or mounted on the pulpit. Just 2 cents for the survey.
Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

ross99

Rick Johnson

Love the Fortress Danforth, but I sleep in the Aft Cabin thank you very much....  Also would like to find a Bruce as a second anchor, but they are getting to be like "hen's teeth"...

Just finished installing the Hood Seafurl 900 SL conversion I purchased from Ron Hill!  Damn, it was easy and works great..  Highly recommended!

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Rick : Thanks, as you answered a question about how it went on and works.

Ken : I have a Bruce 33, a 1850 Danforth deep set and a 2500 deepset Danforth on board.  The Bruce is the primary, but frequently use the 1850 - depending on the bottom conditions.  The 2500 is a storm anchor.  Each anchor has a 200ft nylon rode attached (2500 has a ribbon rode).  The bruce has 35 ft of chain and the other two have about 15 ft each.

The primary cabin for sleeping is the Vberth with the mattress, although we've slept in the aft cabin when it gets cold(by the warm engine) :clap
Ron, Apache #788

jpaulroberts

Aboard Resolution I use a Delta22 as my primary and it works fine. I am trying to buy a Bruce 33 but right now you can't get them. We bought the boat thinking we were going to sleep in the aft cabin, but right away we found the v-berth much more light an breezy in the summer.
Jerry

Andrew Harvey

Whether it is the aft cabin or V berth we just like to sleep at night.
44 pound bruce with 60 feet of chain.
No worries

Andrew
Andrew Harvey

Jeff_McKinney

Primary: 35 lb Delta Deepset, 200' 1/2" 3-strand nylon, 20' chain
Secondary: 16 lb Danforth, same rode but 15' of chain.

V-berth 95% of the time.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay