Preventor for Main

Previous topic - Next topic

grantreed

I want to rig a preventer for my mainsail so I can have better control when sailing wing to wing. I know that I will need a whisker pole for the jib and will work on that separately.

However, how exactly have you riged your preventors?
(1) What kind/weight line was used?
(2) What connection at the end going to the boom?
(3) Where on the boom was it connected? (I have an in-mast furling main)
(4) Where did you take the line to forward?
(5) Finally where was the bitter end of the line secured? (I have a Dodger installed on the boat)

Thanks for the details. I plan to do this myself, of course, and want to save trips to West Marine for supplier AND surprises in the Atlanta Ocean!
grant reed
grantreed@att.net
C34 TRWK #1519
"Patty Cake"
Little River, SC

c34member

I go very low tech.  I use a hank of old 7/16" Dacron that is about 30 ft. long.  I tie one end to the rearmost bail on the boom (the one with the last turning block for the mainsheet)and I pass the line outside the shrouds to the cleat on that side of the bow (existing dockline cleat).  I only snug it up, not too tight, and I am careful that the boom dosn't touch the shroud (or the mainsail the spreader).   It must be removed prior to tacking or jybing, but it works well for me.

msenko

The best way to rig a preventer IMHO is the use of a boom brake. In fact you can rig a boom brake to act as a preventer and vang, and it will help to keep your boom from moving around when motoring (mainsail furled) and at the dock. Should you unintentionally jybe, the potential of breaking the boom is greatly reduce with a brake.

Rigging it may be another matter.

You might look at installing a couple of blocks on the deck out by the handrails, just forward of the aft lower shrouds.  You may then want to lead the lines aft, either straight aft or bring them up to the winches which will require another pair of blocks to direct the lines back towards the center line of the boat and then aft to a pair of jam cleats or halyard stoppers. You should use something that can take some load as the loads on a boom brake are substantial.

Any questions, contact me off list: gmsenko@msn.com

Tweetybd

Hi, Grant

when we sail downwind on Tweety Bird (#1346), we move the traveler completely to that side, and it serves as an effective preventer.  The price is right, too!

Jon

hdevera

I like Jon's idea and it certainly is the least expensive way of rigging a preventor.  I'll try it.

Rick

I use the boom brake from Dutchman. It is rigged with  blocks on the control side to the aft lower shroud. It works great. You can adust it to be a brake or for a controlled jibe. You don't need to adjust the sheets during the jibe, which makes it great for short handed sailing. I often single hand a 50 mile trip, all down wind with constant jibes in one narrow section with lots of wind. It works every bit as well as the company claims.

Rick Niles #1294   â

Rick Niles
Rick@ranfit.comˇ

I go low tech as well.  I have a traditional boom vang (made of line) and I've added a snap shackle at the end of the vang that attaches to the boom.  When I want to use a preventer, I attach the snap shackle to the forward shroud rather than the mast.  Just snug up the vang (also not too tight) and it works fine.  I suppose this wouldn't be a great setup in storm conditions, but I only sail in SoCal and don't encounter storm conditions much.

Chuck Hughes
Sand Save #223 (1986)
Long Beach, CA