Thanks Everyone...

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Just wanted to thank everyone associated with this site and those who responded to my question a few weeks ago...There is undoubtedly a lot of valuable information here which greatly educated me concerning the Catalina 34.

AND...

As of today, I'm officially the proud new owner of a pretty clean 1986 Catalina 34' (hull #233--keel stepped).  The boat will be sailed out of the lower Chesapeake Bay, and will hopefully make many trips to the Upper Bay...Her name will be "IMPULSE".

We're not new to sailing, having cruised (very little) and raced (alot) a Coronado 30' on the lower bay for the last 6 years...

I'm looking forward to joining this board and figuring out a few things regarding the Cata 34; (1) how to get her to go fast to win races and (2) how do you pack all that stuff to cruise

Once again, thanks for all the valuable info and I will be joining the board once I get by new baby home; 150 miles down the bay this weekend!!!

Tom

dave davis

Sounds like you and "Impulse" will get along just fine.
I have been looking for someone in the Chesapeake Bay area that is interested in racing their C34. It's such a great sailing area for racing but it seems like all I ever here about is the great areas to cruise. That is true also, but...
     Next years C34 National Regatta will be held(for the 5th time)on the San Francisco Bay in Sept 02.
My underlining goal is to have it at Ches. Bay in 03. I know that it sounds like a far off dream, but keep it in mind.
   By the way, your profile did not include your Email. It is handy to correspond directly if its ok with you. Good luck with your new to U toy...
 Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Dave,

Thanks for your reply...Please feel free to e-mail me anytime @ sailfast_1999@yahoo.com .

There are a lot of sailboats on the bay and most are cruisers.  However, we have at least 4 very active Yacht Clubs on the lower bay which have very successful racing programs...Even though my Catalina is kinda heavy (Central heat and A/C, and referigeration), I fully intend on racing her...I've have found several Catalina 34' owners down here; one said the boat doesn't have a favorable PHRF rating for racing so he stopped, while others just prefer to cruise.  
Soon as get "Impulse" home, I plan on buying some of the go fast gear; folding prop, 155% genoa,  full battens in the main (at least top 2 anyway), etc...Hopefully I will be able to push her to the front of the pack in a season or two...Although I did promise my girlfriend some cruise time as well; something we never did with the Coronado 30; except to travel to races :-)  
I plan on becoming active with this site, and if the Cata 34 Nationals were on the Ches Bay, you can bet I'll be there...Please continue your push to make that happen...And don't hesitate to e-mail me if there is something I can do to help...

Tom; sailfast_1999@yahoo.com