standing rigging x-ray and mag part inspection

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

I've been looking at the 2003 thread on this subject and couldn't get an answer about where Jim Kane had his rigging magnetic particle inspected and x-rayed. Anybody know?  Also, does anyone know where this can be done in the Toronto or east coast area?   This seems to be the most reasonable approach rather than assuming everything needs to be repaced. We just bought the boat and the rigging is 14 years old. Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Hill

Kerk : Think you need to review what you can and cannot do to check your rigging:
1. You can't magnaflux stainless(fittings) and bronze (turnbuckles) because they are NON-magnetic.
2. You can die check or Xray all of the wire, fittings and turnbuckles, but you have to look at the cost of doing that vrs. just getting new stuff!!

I just got all of mine replaced (pin to pin).  We could find no visible problem with any of the old equipment.  However, is piece of mind and eventually the insurance co. will require it.  My boat is entering it's 19th season.  Call the factory and get a price (they're the cheapest), but you'll have to send them the old rigging so they can match it.  I went with a local rigger band watched him make every swedge and he uses all American made items, so I know what I got and how it was done!!
A few thoughts.  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788