Adding a 2nd Reef to Main

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Taylor

Has anyone added a 2nd reefing point to their stock Mainsail? If so how far above the first or the foot of the sail did you put it? I have a standard rig. I have young kids and would just like the flexibility to set a second reef when it is going to blow hard.

Stu Jackson

Brad, our PO had had a second set of reef points installed just before he sold his boat to us in 1998.  The second set is the same distance above the first set as the first set is above the boom.  Here in SF where we get some heavy summer weather, I have never had to use the second set. I believe the reason for this is that we have a summer 85% jib and our winter jib is the 110%.  With the 85% jib and the first reef the boat balances very well (even using the autopilot) in apparent winds from 18 to 24 knots with some higher gusts.  With all the mainsail controls we have on our boats (wide travellers, boom vangs (ours is the Garhauer rigid model), good purchases on the mainsheet) even the single reefed mainsail can be flattened and positioned to accomodate a wide range of winds.  While I have never felt the need to use the second reef points, I am very glad they are there.  All the second reef lines are installed and ready to use at any time.      Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."