Markel Insurance

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Kern

Anyone have any experience with Markel Marine Insurance?  I currently have a Drive (Progressive) Policy that is very reasonable.  However, I am going to the Bahamas for 12 days this summer and the policy only covers that portion of the Bahamas 125 NM out from the coast.  I will be about 160nm during parts of my trip.  Drive can't insure farther out.

Called USAA (who originally set me up with the Drive Policy) and they have quoted me through Markel.  Decent coverage although for hurricane partial loss it is actual cash value and not replacement.  Also got a quote from Boat US which is $1000 more, higher deductible but will pay replacement on a partial loss.

Just trying to figure out he best deal and don't want to change to a compnay that has not given good service.  All this for 12 days in the Bahamas.  I would like to keep the Drive, get the Markel and then cancel the Markel after the trip but am told that is not legal to have 2 policies.

Thoughts on all this?
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

tommyt

Hi,

Assuming you are referring to Markel American out of Pewaukee, Wi. I have a boat in the midwest that is also in a charter fleet. The fleets insurance, and therefore mine, is with Markel American.

Last year a charterer managed to put my boat on the beach. Keel replacement, rudder replacement, and some glass work later and the boat is fine. Markel's appraiser and mine agreed all the way, and $30K later the boat is fine. I think I like Markel....a lot!!!!!

Tom Mallery
Splash Dance, # 1679
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance