Winch on Boom?

Previous topic - Next topic

shehant

Trying to make sure I have my reef lines, topping lift, and lazy jacks rigged correctly on my Mk 1.5 for the season.  There's a winch on the starboard side of the boom.  Is this standard? If so, what is it intended to be used for?

Reef system appears to run through a car/block on the aft starboard side and a reefing hook on the mast side

Ron Hill

She : That winch is NOT standard.  It was added by a Previous Owner to Raise the Mainsail!! Then (once raised) the PO must have taken that main halyard and secured it!!  (to a cleat? or rope stopper? on the mast? or back in the cockpit by the #30 small winch [starboard overhead deck] ??)

Please add you hull# and production year so we can best answer your questions!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThere's a winch on the starboard side of the boom.  Is this standard? If so, what is it intended to be used for?

Like Ron I don't think it's standard.  On the boom its purpose was probably for the outhaul.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Quote from: shehant on March 26, 2024, 01:19:54 PMThere's a winch on the starboard side of the boom.  Is this standard?

reefing hook on the mast

Please post a picture when asking about oddball items. 

Help us to help you!

A reef hook on the MAST? This does not sound right.
The manual shows the running rigging layout.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Ken—what doesn't "sound right" about a reef hook on the mast?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah

On the boom or on the gooseneck, yes.  But in the mast?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

A photo would tell. I am guessing his is "at the mast" not "on the mast" (i.g. at the gooseneck).
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on March 26, 2024, 06:06:02 PMA photo would tell. I am guessing his is "at the mast" not "on the mast" (i.g. at the gooseneck).
Picture? What a unique approach LOL.

If one were on the mast I'm thinking it might be a P.O. tie-back for lazy jacks?

Ron Hill

She : Read the Friggen Question!! Sorry for my diet-tribe on the winch on the mast!!
I'll guess that's On the boom - it was for the outhaul?

I have a "pigtail" on the goose neck for the reefing of the mast for the Mainsail Kringle!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

I will admit to reading quite quickly so it is quite possible I missed something, but the winch on the stbd side of the boom would likely be for the reefing lines for the klew.  The tack hook doesn't need a winch.

Also, the outhaul (when not reefed) has a purchase block system inside the boom and should not require a winch (nor is it really conveniently placed to use one).

To answer the original question, this was not fitted as standard equipment from Catalina and was likely added at commissioning or by a previous owner.  It is indeed helpful and worth making use of.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

shehant

Thanks all - makes sense that its for reefing.  Apologies for not providing photo - boat is +/- an hour from home so not the easiest to get to!

KWKloeber

Quote from: shehant on Yesterday at 09:45:24 AMThanks all - makes sense that its for reefing. 

Can you describe exactly where it is and what size winch?

No, it doesn't make sense (IMO anyway -- others may disagree) to have ANY winch ANYWHERE to reef.  One doesn't "haul down" a main by the reef cringles.  You either reef it (1st or 2nd cringles) as a parallel operation head-to-wind while raising the main, or if reefing after underway, drop the main to the reef points (1st or 2nd) and then harden up on the halyard.

And where precisely is the reef hook on the mast?

Thx
Ken

waughoo

I've used a winch many times to get a flat foil by tightening the foot of the sail by the leech.  It CAN be done by hand, but a turn or so of a winch handle is appreciated.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte