Replacing the Main Halyard

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Bob

Perhaps I am having a 'Senior Moment' but I could swear I reviewed a thread about replacing the 3/8" main halyard with a 7/16". The purpose was to improve the hand feel of the halyard. I can't seem to find any reference to this proceedure when I search the discussion list or the tech notes. Did I dream it up? Has anyone done this and were any problems noted with the sheeves or rope clutches?
I would like the extra breaking strength when going up the mast and the extra cost is pretty small.

captran

I hope someone responds, as I am needing to do the same, with my 1997.  prior owner somehow snagged the core and pulled about 5 inches out, right where the haylard goes into the clutch on the cabin top.  what I was thinking of doing was getting a 100' piece of 1/8 cord and running it through to use as a feeder for the new line, but I don't know if there will be room in the past and on the sheeves inside.  How were you planning on accomplishing the task?  Thanks

Randy

c34member

Here's what I do.  Whip the ends of old and new line.  Butt the two ends together and sew them together temporarily with a bit of light sail twine.  Use the old halyard to feed the new halyard through.  Alternatively, you can use a paper-clip fed through the ends and then cover the join with heat shrink tubing or electrical/rigging tape so that it won't snag.  In either case, use a steady, even pull when feeding the line.  1/16" of a difference in line will not be a problem with the sheaves, especially after the line is stretched a few times.  It will in fact make the rope clutches work a little better.

For a better feel to the hand you might want to consider one of the "fuzzy" braids available.  IMHO Sta-Set X is a bit softer than Sta-Set II.

jrupinsk

At the beginning of this season I replaced the main halyard with the 7/16" from Sailnet.  The mainsail is more difficult to raise with the thicker line and comes down slower.  Were I to do it again I stay with the same diameter that came with the boat.

Jan Rupinski
s/v La Vie Dansante
C34 #1311
Cape May, NJ