Sailing with Guests

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Ambrose

I have enjoyed Vic's web page <www.catalina34.com> and noticed how many guests he has sailing, all of them seeming to enjoy the thrill of the helm.  It certainly is that for sure.  My experience with guests is that they do enjoy participating, particularly at the wheel, but sailing in our Maine waters we are constantly avoiding lobster pots, working the tides, and attending to cans and nuns and the ledges that they mark.  Not all guests are willing or attendant enough to keep the focus required to do this so I am sometimes concerned that turning over responsibility is more than a little risky.

So, I am wondering if any would be willing to share their tricks at successfully having guests be involved in sailing and at the same time keeping the Captain from anxiety while insuring guests have a great experience.  As example I am thinking of the guest who, while at the wheel, so busy talking and unfocused, had us headed straight on a tack into another vessel without a bit of concern...even after gently suggesting a course change.

Jeff Kaplan

gary, i sail in the north of boston area with all the pots,markers and unmarked ledge, similar to you. when i give the wheel to a guest, i never leave their side, i usually sit on the perch, until i can tell that they are just not holding onto the wheel, but actually following a course. we have plenty to look at, so i give them a target. if they fall of course, i give them a few moments  to correct,and, if not, i correct them, by asking," i thought we we were heading toward..., i don't see it anymore, do you?" that usually gets their attention. if they still don't get it, i take the wheel back. if there is a lot of congestion or just too many lobster pots, i don't  give up the wheel and the guests usually understand. i have a saying, a sailor sails the boat, others let the boat sail them. i have a friend who has been sailing with me for over 20 years and he still doesn't get it. he crashed my old c27 twice, both in  the same area but from different directions, shame on me for leaving the helm. i now never give him the wheel on the 34 except when we are in open water with nothing around, and i still don't leave his side. on the other hand, with another friend, i can take a nap and not worry. i suppose, you have to watch, and make sure your guest is comfortable with the wheel. i have seen many novices get caught up in an accidental jibe and head straight for another boat, causing that captain, heart failure. i will never get the sound of my boat smashing into submerged ledge, out of my head, what an explosion.  just my thoughts...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jim Price

My limited experience has been to set the stage up front when I let a "newbie" take the wheel.  I am Captain and what ever I suggest, order, or yell, even if it makes no sense at all, MUST be responded to immediately and then we can discuss and explain afterwards why I asked them to do what ever.

Also, I NEVER take my eyes off the water and surrounding area so hopefully there are no surprises.  Come to think of it, "managing" a boat is a hell of lot harder than driving the boat.

But I am also on a lake that is home to over 2500 sailboats where our main focus is not pots and such but each other.  Somewhat easier.

Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Jeff Kaplan

gary, i should have started my post with exactly what jim stated, when new people are on board, i discuss all the rules of the boat and explain some events that might happen, including thunderstorm drills.  i tell the crew that, if i tell you to do something, or if it  sounds like i'm yelling, don't take it personal, just do it, ask questions later. it can be very dangerous on board, but as boat owners, all we want is for everybody to have a great time and come back for more...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Gary Ambrose

Jeff and Jim,

You're explanations and experiences make sense to me.  My uncle used to say that he could tell more about people in playing poker with them for an evening than years of other kinds of associations.  I would amend that to say the same about sailing.  A day on the water and a mutually shared sail, in both good weather and bad, tells us more about ourselves, and others, than almost any activity I know.

It is also a terrific long term learning experience and here I mean not just sail handling and navigation but the dynamics of human interaction.  Having said this it is ironic that many find the most enjoyable sail a solo sail.

I would admit to enjoying both!

Stu Jackson

We keep it as simple as possible.

"There are only two simple rules on board:

1.  One hand for yourself one hand for the ship (and explain what that means)

2.  When I (we) ask you to do something, sometimes we don't have time Beforehand to explain why.  Please do so and we'll explain it afterward, but we'll always try to explain it first."

Usually works.

PS  We also never explain the head operation until someone needs to use it.  Information overload at the start of a nice sail just isn't appropriate.  Think of how you might feel (or may have felt) at first.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Ambrose

Stu,

All three rules are terrific!  Thank you !!

Ron Hill

Gary : No matter who's at the wheel, someone knowledgeable must be in position to assist the helm's person.  
Bottom line -- the Captain is responsible for the safety and operation of the crew and the ship.  Rip & Rer.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

I will have to remember some of the above rules.

I will also add that I will not let a rookie take the helm on a run where they can crash gybe the boat.  It is much safer to let them drive close hauled or better yet on a reach.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain