New Salon Table

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

Since I moved to Texas I have not been able to bring all my tools out from California.  Therefore, I decided to ask my airline pilot cousin in New Hampshire if he might give me a hand and build a new table for me in a slightly smaller size.  The following picture is the result and does not do it justice!  The darn thing is beautiful.  3/4 inch teak plywood with teak molding around the edge.  The compass center is walnut, maple, mahogany and ash.  I've asked him to give me a write-up which I'll submit to projects after I get some pictures of the table installed.  Damn, now I really owe him....
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Jeff Kaplan

rick, awsome jiob.as you saw in my pic, i used white laminate. didn't think of teak ply, now wished i had. enjoy...jeff kaplan
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Rick : You sure have a beautiful table!!
Sure is funny how people have different tastes.  When I wanted to cut mine to install a hinge and make it a drop-leaf; I had to PROMISE the 1st mate that that table wouldn't be even a 1/4" smaller - or she wouldn't have let me do it!!  She likes a big table.    :wink:

Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Before...

Rick Johnson

After

Jim Price

Here is another version - "poor man's version"

I made this from a "dishwasher end panel" I picked up from Home Depot.  Finish is melamine on both sides.  I cut the long side to width, rounded the corners (hardest part), finished the corners with edge banding (Home Depot) and mounted to old table support.  I made the trim / fiddles from red oak and stained to get close to finish.  Let the corners open for "crumb gathering".

The panel was less than $30 best I remember and oak pieces were about $12 plus my cheap labor.

Still can serve 4 people and everyone can get in and out.  Mounted original table to aft cabin bulkhead with bungee cord setup for use as bed frame when needed.

Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Roland Gendreau

Rick

Nice job!

Your cousin could probably market clones of that table to a number of us C34 owners!

Any chance he'd be interested in making more of them?

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Rick Johnson

Roland,

I told him he should start picking up projects.  He really does wonderful woodwork and he is coming up on retirement.  He said he'd build others for $500 each but I'm not sure if he was kidding.  By my count there is over $200 in materials.

Cheers,

Rick

Kathy Knowles

Hello,

I keep getting this error message when I try to open the jpg attachments:
"An Error Has Occurred!
It seems that you are not allowed to download or view attachments on this board."  I've searched, checked profiles and security settings, etc and updated everything I can.  I also tried another computer system.  Finally I give up.   :cry4`  Does one need special permission to be able to view the attachments?

Thanks for your help!

Kathy Knowles
#591 1988
C34IA Member
Kathy Knowles, #591, 1988 Tall Rig / Wing Keel, "Seamus", Upper Chesapeake

Kathy Knowles

Hello Again,

Seems that once I sent my first post everything opens up automatically.   :clap  Go figure. 

Thanks again.

Kathy
Kathy Knowles, #591, 1988 Tall Rig / Wing Keel, "Seamus", Upper Chesapeake

Steve Ormond

Mine got blocked too!

Steve Ormond
Schipperke #1052