Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important

Previous topic - Next topic

jpaulroberts

I've been using a Delta22 lb on my #296 and I like it, but I want to get a bigger anchor for peace of mind in a blow. West Marine says the best all around anchor is the Delta, and I'm thinking of getting the 35 pounder. I know a lot of people use Bruce and CQR. West says they are not as good in mud as Delta, and I sail in Long Island Sound which is pretty much all black mud-clay-sand.  I will eventually sail as far north as Nova Scotia.

I will sift through old projects and message board threads, but I would just like to hear some recent first hand thoughts on the relative merits of Delta, CQR and Bruce.
I intend to install a bow roller mount and use a chain/rope spliced rode. I will eventually add a winch.

Thanks for your thoughts. Jerry

reedbr

Sometimes anchors are like religion.  Everybody has their own beliefs.  I was raised in a Danforth house and that's all I knew.  About 3 years ago, I tried a 33 pound Bruce with 25' chain and 1/2" 3-strand nylon line.  I have been more than happy with this setup.  It has held me through two bad squalls, one was a raft up and I had to deploy quick when the other boat's Danforth broke loose.  I can manage it up and down without a winch and it hangs well on the roller.  It is my primary and I sleep well at anchor even if the wind picks up and shifts.   I have effectively changed religions. 

That being said, I've never tried a Delta or a CQR.  If you are looking for opinions (and we know what those are worth!), I would use my heavy as my primary.  Once the wind picks up it's no fun re-setting anchors.  For extended cruising, I would have two different types on-board.  If for some reason the Delta doesn't bite after several tries, it might be nice to toss down something different.  Also check out Practical Sailor which seems to do anchor tests every year or so.

My cruising ground is the Chesapeake and my anchoring is mostly mud. 

Good luck.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Joe Kern

The most recent issue of Practical Sailor had a very comprehensive test of anchors.  I think they focused on mud holding and I believe the Bruce/Bruce-Type anchors did the best for the money.  Lots of good detail in the article.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Stu Jackson

Jerry

Two major issues (beyond weight) that affect anchor choice

--- Bottom conditions

--- Shifting currents (rivers, tidal areas)

The Bruce, CQR, Delta types can reset after a current shift.  Danforths usually can't.

The bottom conditions also are a consideration.  I recommend simply checking West Marine or other catalogs - usually they have anchor charts that discuss the types of bottoms that the anchors are good in as well as sizing.  Sometimes the individual anchor selection / descriptions includes that information.

Sounds like you are going to have a great season ahead of you with all the god work you've done on "Resolution."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

I second what Joe said - get a copy of Practical Sailor and check out their anchor test.  They're the "Consumer Reports" of Sail boating.  Good, unbiased (they don't take advertising) data.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Jerry : You can read the tons of stuff praising/damning the merits of each brand/type anchor.  In the end you'll have to decide for yourself.  Here are a few helpful tip that you should consider -- which ever 30+ lb anchor you choose:

1.  Use a length of chain similar to the length of the boat.
2.  Make sure that you use a swivel between the anchor and the chain so the anchor can do it's OWN thing!!
3.  Carry two types of anchors onboard, so you can change when bottom conditions change.

Good Luck in your quest!!!    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

jpaulroberts

I always carry three anchors. Right now I've got the Delta 22 as my primary. I have the largest danforth that fits in the locker grooves as a storm anchor, and I carry a small danforth in the stern. I have been in bad sutuations on some cruises where I have found myself extreamly exposed in 35 knot winds and substantial seas all night long and I want the best holding power I can get. Last sumer I was in an anchorage with 50 knot gusts and that was a long night. I've got an 11 month old daughter now and I want to know I am going to hold through a blow.  I'll get the practical Sailor issue. But I don't mond spending over their $200 limit. I want the best I can buy.

By the way, do people actually use 30 foot chain on their rodes? I thought 10 was plenty. Jerry

Ted Pounds

For the conditions you describe you want at least 30 feet of chain.  Many serious cruisers use all chain.  Though our boats aren't really set up for that.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

jpaulroberts

Don't get me wrong, I do not make a habit of anchoring in those conditions. They are extremely rare. In fact I am always careful to choose as safe an anchorage as I can, but conditions change at night and then you need to decide whether to move and reanchor in the dark, or tough it out.

I have sailed with a Pearson Triton for 15 years and used a medium danforth and 8 feet of chain. I would think 30 feet of chain is hard to handle. Anyway, this is why I am taking a hard look at anchors, rode, etc as I continue to re-fit the C-34 I bought in September 2004. All this advice is really appreciated. Jerry

Ron Hill

Jerry : I not only use 35 ft of chain, I also send down a 15 lb. sentinel -- EVERY time I anchor!!  I spend alittle over 110 overnights each year for the past 18 years.  That's alot of anchoring.
I don't want to re anchor in the middle of the night(or day) and since using 35 ft of chain and a 15 lb sentinel - once the anchor (35#Bruce) is in, it stays in.   Even when a thunder storm comes with 40+ kts of wind and a 180 degree wind direction change  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

jpaulroberts

Ron, that's a pretty strong rig and I hear you. Do use and winch and if so which one? Whay bow roller do you have. Lastly do you think a Bruce beats out Delta and CQR for any particular reasons, or is it just what you use and it works. Thanks Jerry

jpaulroberts

Ron, what size rope and chain are you using?

Ron Hill

Jerry : I use 1/4" Hi Tensile chain and braid on braid 1/2" rode.  I like the Bruce not only for it's holding, but it ability to almost immediately re hook(if its ever dislodged). 
I don't have a winch.  Just remember that the only weight that you're really lifting is the length of chain straight to the bottom  and the anchor itself.  If you anchor in 10" of water that's only 43lbs - and BTW I'm 69 (for the 4th time)!   
Ron, Apache #788

jpaulroberts

Thanks Ron. Lots of great info and valuble experiance. I've ruled out CQR, and now it's just between Delta  and Bruce. From all the research I've done it sounds like Delta sets faster and is a bit better in mud and weeds, but Bruce probably holds better once it's set. Of course that's the real point, staying set, and re-setting if it should pull out. I used the 22 pount Delta last season and liked it. I've never used a Bruce but they sure have a great reputation. 

Howard Armstrong

Ron, i use must the same anchoring system as you do. How close to the anchor do you put your weight? i normally put mine only deep enough to keep from having a keel wrap.
thanks
Howard