Holding tank vent plugged

Previous topic - Next topic

r_bond

I have a problem with water forming a plug in my holding tank vent line.  Water coming down from the topside is getting trapped in a slight dip in the vent line, causing a "plug" so the line won't vent.  As a result the tank starts to swell and has occasionally pushed "stuff" back to the bowl of the toilet. 

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you fix it?

I've thought about plugging the whole in the lower section of the stanchion and drilling another higher up on the stanchion.  This should reduce water coming in from the deck, but given the routing of the vent hose I still have a "dip" to content with.

Thanks for any suggestions / ideas.

Rusty Bond
Trinity
1993 Std, Hull #1261
1993 C34
Hull # 1261
Wing Keel, Std. Rig

David Sanner

I don't have that problem with my vent hose.

Sounds like your vent line is too long and the extra length is creating a dip in the hose.

Try shortening it and/or re-routing it so that's there's no dip in it.
Perhaps you can add a strap/support to the hose near the dip to support
the hose and remove the dip.

I replaced my vent hose with a re-enforced sanitation hose.
The old vent hose was a source of odor in the cabin.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Jeff Kaplan

when i replaced the entire sanitation system, one of these days i will write an article for the tech notes,on my '86 mk1,  i drilled a 1" hole thru the deck about 3" fore of the old vent stanchion post, installed a 3/4" thru hull fitting with barbed end to connect the new 3/4" white sanitation hose to. route the new hose so it is as straight and short as possible.  i covered the new hole with a clam shell vent cover to keep out the water and put a piece of screen into the new vent to keep out little critters. the clam shell is positioned close enough to the side rail to prevent stubbing a toe, got rid of the old  5/8" cheap vent hose, which does pass odor,  and have no problems now. good luck...jeff kaplan #219
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Rusty : If you feel that the "slight dip" in the vent line is the problem, then cut the line and insert a solid elbow in the line.  That will eliminate the dip/pinch - see if that doesn't help.   :?:
Ron, Apache #788

r_bond

Thanks guys....all good suggestions.  Think I'll start with a combo of Ron & David's (new hose w/ elbow at location of "dip")  I'm all about trying the easy ones first.  If that doesn't work, I think Jeff's got the right idea to just re-design the whole affair.  I was thinking the current line is too long w/ too many bends to be effective as a vent.

Rusty
1993 C34
Hull # 1261
Wing Keel, Std. Rig