Stains On Rudder

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Bain

I have noticed stains on my rudder...seem to be coming from the post...
is there a fix for this? I was reading a thread about repacking?? but not sure if this is what needs to be done....or how...
Thanks

Richie
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

Jeff Kaplan

rich, seems to be plenty of info on this question on this site. i removed the rudder a few weeks ago because when i had the boat hauled and surveyed late last summer, prior to purchase,rust  stains were very evedent shortly after the boat was pulled. the surveyor said i should monitor this carefully.but i should be ok for this season.i bought the boat knowing that the rudder would have to be dealt with in the coming seasons, but i figured i get it done this year.i read all the posts on this and was ready start the process to determine whether i could fix the problem myself, or send it back to catalina for repair. as it turns out, corrosion was happening around where the post goes into the rudder. sent dig. photos  to kent at catalina tech to look at. in my case, a new rudder had to be purchased. inspect your rudder throughly, using all the info posted on this subject, plently just recently posted. good luck...jeff kaplan
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Richie : We've had a volume of posts on this very topic in the past month.
You've got water inside your rudder.  The "iron" grid inside is rusting and seeping out.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788