Corrosion protection for the winter

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff_McKinney

Another newbie question: I'm keeping my boat in the water over the winter (upper Chesapeale Bay) and was wondering about the merits of clamping one of those sacrificial anode zinc fish to the standing rigging & down into the water. I figure it will provide some enhanced grounding and decrease on-board zinc deterioration, but is it worth the expense?

Thanks
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Jeff : Not to sure what you're trying to protect - the rigging??
A zinc "sacrifices" itself first in salt water(the electrolite), rather than the metal item it's attached to.

My 86year old father had a zinc attached to the wooden skag of his Cris Craft, while it was in fresh water!!!  Guess if you're 86 you can do things like that - if you want to!! 

I'd double up on the shaft Zn - to answer your question.  :abd:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

I think it's completely unnecessary: radically fewer neighbors and, therefore, no "rogue" current in the water; and very little lightning activity in the winter.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jeff_McKinney

Thanks for the feedback.

Jon: We still get T-storms down this way in the winter (In the forecast for today) and also get thunder-snows which can have a righteous amount of "zappage".

Ron: The zinc on the shaft is in good shape. I guess I'm trying to get better grounding for the mast in case of a nearby strike. There are still a large number of boats in the water nearby, plus with the bubblers you never know when one will crap out. Paranoid? Who, me? :nail
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay