cradle size and indentation

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

As we put our boat away this Fall we got into a situation where we had to use a cradle that was the wrong size. As a result the aft pads (there are six) are indenting the body more than we'd like.
Questions:
1) How will I know if this has done permanent damage or if it's OK?

2) We will buy/have made a cradle for next year. Do we use the specs in the manual page 63? This only has four pads, not six. Is six better? Do the pad heights indicated refer to the pads when they are midway in their adjustment? Anyone have a better design?

3) We are storing our boat near Parry Sound in Georgian Bay, Lake Huron. Know of a cradle maker? of anyone who has one for sale?

We had a great summer sailing our new '90. Loved it every day!! Thanks for all the advice through last winter and spring!!   Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Hill

Kirk : The whole idea in using the correct cradle is that the pads are located at interior bulkheads.
When I talked to Catalina 17 years ago, they mentioned that about 75% of the boat weight should be on the keel and 25% on the hull(pads).  If you have that ratio I wouldn't think that your indent would do permanent damage even if they aren't at a bulkhead.  Call Catalina and ask them your question.
Check with a local Catalina dealer and see if they have an old shipping cradle for sale.  To get more details in the cradle specs. you need to call Catalina.
I've used 6 jack stands for 16 winters and they've worked well.  Alot easier to move a stand when bottom painting than in a cradle.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Arnold & Suzanne Robart

Kerk - you could try Swansmarina.ca the Ontario distributor for Catalina for a shipping cradle as Ron suggested, although most marinas here now require folding cradles for storage purposes.  The Marine Cradle Shop at 905 294 3507 would build you a new one.   Both of these companies are a good distance from Parry Sound which would add a shipping cost to your purchase.    Did you ask your marina if there was a local welding shop that could do this?  Quite frankly, I like Ron's suggestion not only for bottom painting but ease of transport (minivan?) should you change marinas in the future

Arnold Robart
Ten Times #1279

jpaulroberts

I too use a six pad cradle. Since my boat yard uses an old marine railway to haul boats we each have to have a cradle. I modified one at the yard and it works great. I'll take some photos and measurements and post them, or  e-mail them if I get an e-mail address.
jerryproberts@aol.com

Marshall Tonner

Kerk, I had exactly that problem with my cradle and modified it by adding 4 inches of lumber under the keel to give me more room for pad adjustment and then added a 7th pad on centre at the aft end. I always go back midwinter to see how she's resting and make any necessary adjustments as frost will generally change "the lay of the land".This may be awkward for you so you should instruct the marina to do this for you.We also sail on,Georgian Bay and live somewhat locally so if I can help further let me know
                                        Marsh
Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II