Head Countertop

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Christensen

I have a 1987 C34 #309 that needs a new countertop in the head. Has anyone out there replaced theirs? It was suggested to me at the Catalina Rendezvous to replace it with a solid surface counter top. this sounds wonderful but it seems the only way to get that material, I would have to pay someone else to fabricate and install it. I am what you call "Handy" and "Tenacious" So I just want the material. But any past experience and insight in the project or materials from others would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
                              Steve
                      "Southern Cross"

Stu Jackson

Steve

About the only counter top project I can remember is this one:

http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-counter-top.html

May be a good start for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Steve : I don't know of any C34 owner that's removed/replaced the counter top in the head.
Disconnect the water lines, sink drain and remove the front teak trim.  Not too sure what you'll encounter next, but I suspect it's caulked in.  
Good Luck and keep us informed on how you did it.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Krawford

Steve,
I havn't replaced the counter top in the head but I did replace the one in the galley.  My source of Corian was a neighbor who was upgrading to marble in their kitchen.  It was my first time working with it and it went quite well.  You may want to call a remodeler in your area and see if they have any solid surace tops they want to get rid of.  If you get that far let me know and I'll see if I can scrounge up the name of the company where I bought the "glue" to join pieces together.
Ken Krawford
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B