Flex-o-fold Prop

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S.

Finally got out for an extended trip this Memorial Day weekend and got to try out the new flex-o-fold prop.  I know its pricey, but I would highly recommend it to anyone contemplating a prop change from the fixed 3 blade.  I noticed four big improvements, 1)  significantly reduced prop walk, which is important to me as I must turn to starboard when I back out of my slip, 2) it smoothed out the engine (less vibration at a larger range of RPM's), 3) better speed - ran about 6.1-6.3 knots at 2200 RPM on flat water, and last but not least, 4) 1/2 knot extra when under sail.    :thumb:
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

sail4dale

I'll second that approval of the prop.  I put on a three blade and it pushed me at 7 knots at about 2100 - 2200 RPM.  It is a 15 x 10 RH and that is about max for the RPM.  If I'd used the 15 x 9 the RPM might be greater but that speed is max torque for the 35HP engine.  I;m happy with it and it is less expensive than some of the other 3 blade folding.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

isabel98

I just started using my mark 1 with the FOF 2 blade, and yes it's working beautifully. I especially like the simplicity of contsuction and ease of installation. I also changed the shaft, cutless bearing, packing gland and flange. After final engine mount adjustment, all systems appear to work very well. I don't plan on motoring too much (maybe 20 hours a season), but it's reassuring to know that the drive line is sound and very slippery with the new folder. I completed this job myself with only moderate difficulty, and would be happy to answer any questions that other owners might have. The only hitch with the entire project now is my decision to go with the goretex drip less packing material, I'm not sure it's better than the standard flax. No drip equals more heat at the gland, and I think I might go back to the original setup. A little water through the gland makes for a much cooler operation.

Ed Shankle

Steve,
What is your engine size and what are your new prop dimensions?
The results sound great!

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Steve S.

I have the M25-XP and I got the 15 x 9 three blade.  Your lucky in that if want you can just trot on over to Front St. in Marblehead and visit with Chuck Angle at flex-o-fold.   Chuck was very patient and gave very good advice.    

E-mail: amsales@flexofold.com
Phone: 781-631-3190
Fax: 781-639-2503
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay