standing rigging

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron gregg

Has anybody oversized their standing rigging? i have a 1989 cat 34 std rig. any problems such as chainplate/tie rod issues? i plan on heading south in a few years and am starting to get my boat ready. Also, can anyone recommend riggers in the Bay Area? Thanks alot! aaron

Stu Jackson

Aaron

I considered "up-sizing" three years ago, and the yard manager and owner at Mariner Square, Greg & Peter, recommended against it.  Their idea was that it would require larger turnbuckles to handle the larger swages, then larger toggles on the bottom of the turnbuckles, and on and on.  If it isn't big enough to hold the rig up in SF Bay weather, then you have a whole 'nother problem.  I thought about it and agreed, having sailed Aquavite here for seven years in some mind-numbing heavy weather.  The rig's fine.  Given all that, you don't really say why you're considering it.

I assume you're in the SF Bay area, there are so many "Bay Areas" I'd guess Tampa would be another.  Please add your signature with your hull #, location and boat year to the end of your messages as suggested in the recent "Identification" post.

As far as riggers here, I don't recommend Mariner, they "outsource", you don't know who you're getting.  Svendsen's is good, but high priced, used to be great and worth it, not so much anymore.  But I don't know where you keep your boat and how far you're willing to travel.  I haven't heard any bad things about KKMI.  There's always the SF Boat Works, Dave Davis had his re-rigged last year and was pleased.

You may try posting your question on the Fleet 1 section of the MB.  Click on Forum Index and scroll down.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

Yes Stu, I  had my rigging all replaced last year, but it was done at South Beach Riggers. They are great and they do all my rigging work. They have a place in Sausalito and in South Beach, SF. I had three quotes and they all came out very close, so it came down to which place was the most convenient.
I should mention that I replaced my normal turnbuckles(chrome plated bronze) with the new type made by Garhauer. They are machined bronze, not plated. They cover the entire bronze with a stainless cover. It is what the CY uses on all there new boat. They look very modern for a 1988 vintage boat like Wind Dragon.
BTW Stu, this topic was started by a boater, Aaron,who says he  keeps his boat in the BAY. There are lots of Bays other than SF Bay. Maybe he boats on the Chesapeake BAY. If so, that may not be too convenient.
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Gene Regan

Just recieved a quote from our Catalina parts department for new rigging and turnbuckles. Price was 958.00 . They requested I send in my old rigging for a match up. Not a bad price though. Called Jsi and also sail net and was a little higher with the same request for sending old in for a match up. Catalina said the spin time was 1 week from them getting my old stuff. Good Luck and keep smiling.
Hey by the way I wanna know how Dave rates pix of Wind Dragon on the site?? Thought he sold her. Oh well ( just kiddin Dave)

captran

after so many disappointing calls to Catalina on parts during the restoration/repair and always being referred to the source of the equipt.  I didn't even bother to call them about the rigging.  Even with shipping, that is cheap, cheap cheap and you scored a major savings.  I just had all new rigging and it was 2400.  That included a small labor charge to take the furling off the old and put on the new, so that gives you an indication of the savings.  I'm green with envy!
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa