alternator bracket upgrade. BIG question

Previous topic - Next topic

isabel98

I just finished the bracket upgrade on my '86 m25. Very nice product and pretty easy install. Only slightly difficult part was stud removal on the manifold. I ended up just changing two studs and leaving two originals in. Here is one big question.. When I removed the lower stud on the manifold, whatever antifreeze that was left leaked out of the hole. Installing the new stud stopped the leak, but I'm afraid that under pressure it may leak. I rebedded the stud using permatex ultra copper sealant ( made for high heat), but I imagine that the stud should have been jacketed in the manifold to prevent loss of fluid. I think maybe the manifold has internal corrosion and the stud sleeve has disintegrated. I guess I'll be replacing the manifold (not cheap) if I get any leaking. Could this be the design of the manifold? Is it normal or a flaw? Either way, I don't have too much confidence in the manifold at this time. It couldn't be a catastrophic failure, but Lets face it we've got enough drips already, and no one wants antifreeze tainted bilge water.

Ron Hill

is : I think I might have used Locktite, but you'll have to see if your hi temp sealant will hold.  As I recall the pressure is only 13psi.
Wouldn't think that you should have too much corrosion inside the reservoir, but that's why most of us with the M25&25XP have added a coolant recovery system.  Not only can you see if the coolant is low, it keeps air out of that reservoir and internal cooling system.  
Remember that the second ingredient in rust (beside iron) is "oxygen".   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

It is fairly common in many sizes of engines to have bolts/studs extend into a water jacket.  I don't think you have anything serious going on.  The threads make a pretty good seal on their own, sealant, locktite or teflon tape  help by reducing any slop in the threads caused by wear or corrosion.   Run the engine up to operating temp a few times and check it.  Don't think you will find it leaking.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

isabel98

OK, cool I'm psyched. the install looks great...