Can you replace a cutless bearing yourself?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Fitch

Do you need to pay the boatyard to use their hydraulic tool to replace the cutless or is there a way to tap out the old one and tap in the new one?

Thanks,

Jim

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jim : Stu gave you the way some of us have done it.  
Depending how much the yard wants to charge you, the hydraulic tool will squirt one up(or out of ) the shaft (shaft in place) and press in a new one in about 1/2 hr!!  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

I haven't done it with this boat, but on other boats I have removed the prop, loosened the grub screws on the cutless bearing, found a length of pipe that fits over the shaft and has an o.d. slightly less than the i.d. of the strut opening, and used a hammer to drive the old bearing forward and out of the strut. I would then cut it off with a hack saw. A dremel tool would probably make even lighter work of the cutting. Use the same pipe and hammer to tap the new and well lubricated bearing in from the aft end.

Wouldn't this work on the C34?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ron Hill

John : Your replacing the cuttless technique will work if you have a cutless that is held in place by set screws.  Problem for most of us is, that the strut used by Catalina ( for most of the 1294 MKI's) is a PRESS IN bearing!!   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

Thanks Ron. I didn't realize that the earlier boats used a press fit bearing. Can I assume that my Mk11 (1999) does have one or two set screws? I confess I didn't notice when I hauled the boat for the first time last summer. Perhaps an owner of a Mk11 of similar vintage could let me know.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Jim Fitch

Hi John -

Mine is a 1990 and it is a press fit.

Jim

Roc

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD