Single Lever Shift-Throttle

Previous topic - Next topic

nolanjt

Last weekend I had a mishap that I think I could have avoided had I had a single lever throttle-shift.  Has anyone converted to this configuration?  Am I just asking for trouble.  I've read several of the postings about prop walk and coming from an outboard to the inboard on the Cat 34.  I too come from that background and found the outboard nice within a marina environment for maneuvering.  I definitely need to practice and am currently opting for backing down the lane where our slip is out to open water.

john meyer

Nolan, I too have the older, 2 lever system.  I've read that the conversion is very doable, just haven't wanted to spend my boat dollars there.  I always back into my slip and the key is as you mentioned - practice.  At this point I would sorely miss my prop walk as I've come to depend upon it to swing my stern the last few feet.  For straighter steerage in reverse, from  neutral gear (and speed) make sure your wheel is at 12 noon, slip into reverse and give a burst of power to start moving the boat and provide steerage.  It's the one time in a marina where I use my throttle much beyond idle.  Good luck  :clap !

Ron Hill

Nolan : There maybe a single throttle/shift for a Universal engine out there, but I haven't seen one.  
My only experience with this type of single lever- duel action is watching some of my power boat friends.  From this I observed  that from their experience - the adjustments of that single lever are VERY critical and most of the time troublesome.  Don't think I'd ever trade mine.  

As previously mentiond "Practice Makes Perfect".   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

nolanjt

Thanks for the input.  I guess I'll just have to get out and use it more....hows that for an excuse to get out of the honey-dos..... :lol: