yanmar or universal best?

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

We are looking at boats in the 90-93 range to buy and are wondering what experiences people have had with the universal or yanmar engine and what people think is the best?  Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Mark Wey

Kerk.

I have a 1990 version Universal. Very happy. My neighbour has a 1988 Yanmar he too is very happy. That about says it all. Both are very good/reliable products. There might be a few differences that prop types or sizes, boat displacement, maintance issues or just plain old preferences that might sway a person one way or the other. I would not let one or the other sway my thinking regarding a boat purchase. There are so many other issues that are important and $$. I say, maintain either one properly they will last a long time. Just my two cents.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Stu Jackson

Kerk

Mark's right.

Only thing I woud add:  How easy is it to check the oil level?

I once had to tear the entire aft cabin of a Beneteau apart to even get to the monster and impossible access hatch to the oil dipstick.

Outta sight, outta mind.  Should be checked every time you start your engine.

The Universal has a starboard-side dipstick, and Catalina was kind enough to install a door right there!  Amazing but true:  they forgot to do the door in the first production runs of the MarkIIs.  Go figure...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

APACHE

I believe that both engines are comparable.  
The only advantage that I know of is that I can go to a Kubota dealer and get engine (block) parts the are 1/3 to 1/2 the "Marine" price for the same IDENTICAL Universal part!!  Don't think you can do that with a Yanmar. :wink: