Wind Speed Indicator Advice

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Jim -

I have a hand held remote Up-Down control which plugs into a receptical on the side of the coach roof, and a simple toggle switch backup in the forepeak.  Neither happens with either switch, so the problem must lie elsewhere. Heading for the boat now, I report results later!

Standing By in Guf Breeze, FL
Mike

Mike Smith

Ok, so I got the indicator mounted, but the calibration instructions seem to be written in secret code.  The instructions say to automatically "linearize" the ST60, just power it up and slowly turn in two complete circles (circles are always complete, but I digress). When complete, The unit will flash dashes and beep three times.  We followed the instructions anmd circled for about 15 minutes waiting of somethng to happen. Nothing did, except for John Sheehan coming alongside in his pontoon boat wondering what the hell we were doing!  I continued on to zero the instrument into the wind.  So, I used a $45 Windex to calibrate my $800+ (less installation) wind instrument.  Do I hear the guys at Raymarine snikering? Hey, what a deal!

Seriously, has anyone broken the code on "linearizing" the ST60 Wind Instrument?

Mike

APACHE

Mike : At those $$,  I damn sure know who I'd be talking to on Tuesday morning!!  :!:

Mike Smith

Ron -

Assuming I'm here Tuesday morning!!!

- Mike

John Sheehan

Mike,

I knew exactly what you were trying to do since I have spent a bunch of time out there going around in circles trying to get my ST-60 wind meter to initialize without success.  When the grand guru at Raymarine lets you know the secret handshake please let me know also.

Thanks, John
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

Mike Smith

John -

Jan and I were slowly turning circles in the cockpit until we figured out they meant turn the boat in slow circles! I'll let you know what I find out, but one of the C34 owners will probably answer first.  After wiring the wind instrument the knotmeter is dead - more troubleshooting ahead today! Looks like we skated this hurricane - too bad for Apalachicola.

Mike