Usernames

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we ask all users to conform to a standard username format or not?

Yes
7 (46.7%)
No
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: September 02, 2004, 06:11:46 AM

Admin

I have enabled USERNAME changes. So if you wanted, you could change your username from "john" to "john smith" or to maybe your boatname & hull# (i.e. Excalibur430). I think this may be a good approach. From an aministrative view, the usernames as they exist now is confusing. There are some 500 or so usernames registered on this Message Board. There are (I'm sure) a number that are duplicates and others that are not being used, or haven't been active in some time. What do you think?

wilsonlb

It would be best if we could display a profile name different from our username.

To login, a simple username is best.  Whereas I'd like to see full names and boat info displayed.  Also, I'm sure many (most?) of us use the same username at multiple web sites and would prefer to keep our login names secret.

Of course, this could take a lot of effort and you're contributing your valuable time to the C34 community so I'm not pressing.  Putting identifying info in the signature works almost as well.  It would be nice if I could hide my login name though.

Stu Jackson

All we have ever suggested are two things

1. that we avoid the use of "cute-y" nicknames, and use real names, like Bob and Ted and Carol and Alice.

2.  that we identify our boats by the hull #s and year - this is important in helping to diagnose problems and provide answers

Regardless of the user names and all that, the signature section also seems to work, so that your user name can be anything, IF you include your name, hull # and year, and whatever else you like, in your signature (or at least in your user name as it pops up).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Given that, I just went and updated my signature.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Philip Imhof

I like the idea about display the profile name as opposed to the username. I will have to look into that a little....

Stu Jackson

Phil

For a little more detailed explanation of what I meant above, see:

http://www.c34ia.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1535&highlight=identification

Gene Regan

Phil ,
 I would echo Stu's recomendation . I think its absolutly necessary to list the Owners name, as it represents membership affiliation and boat name and boat #. This is very helpful when aiding someone diagnosing a problem and giving possible solutions.
 I like signing off as i do on posts and including email address as well. Now we can send messages on the site to each other and I may do away with the email address but not yet.
 I dont like the cutsey names and would much rather deal with people addressing them by their real name.

I thank you for you devotion to this project and will enjoy the changes as I'm sure many others will as well

Thanks

Norris Johnson

I made some changes. This is a check.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Norris Johnson

Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Randy Stolze

:shock: