Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Jenks

I am thinking about installing both a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector in the engine space on my 2000 C34.  If I am motoring and I have an exhaust leak or a fire I would like an earlier warning than smoke billowing out somewhere.  Has anybody tried this?  Does anybody sees any problems with the idea.

Thanks in advance.
Bill Jenks
Treasurer C34IA
Unzipped  Catalina 34 #1484
BOB San Juan 21 #19
Tacoma WA

Mike Smith

Bill -

We had a good discussion of the dangers of CO last fall (Find: Carbon Monoxide and Find: Delivery Skipper)). I would put the detectors throughout your boat, just as you do in your house, not just in the engine compartment. Here is a USCG link on the subject:

http://www.uscgboating.org/co/accumulate.htm

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

Bill Jenks

Thanks Mike

I already have both a smoke and a carbon monoxide detector in the main cabin.  My main concern is will I get false alarms if I put decectors in the confined engine space due to high temperatures and humidity?
Bill Jenks
Treasurer C34IA
Unzipped  Catalina 34 #1484
BOB San Juan 21 #19
Tacoma WA

Jim Price

I have CO detector in aft cabin.  Actually sitting on the counter top.  Close to engine but not in housing.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Smoke and Stuff

Bill

I personally feel that may be overkill.  A search (FIND) on exhaust risers gets a lot of information, one of them includes:  http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=920604333&r=419605843#419605843

My story in a recent Mainsheet in the Tech Notes describes my experiences with the "belching smoke demon."  When the nipple on the riser goes, you KNOW it immediately!  :)

I'm just not sure whether adding more smoke detectors is going to get you any more information than you already have.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Bill,

You don't want the CO detector in you engine compartment.  You want it where the people are.  You're engine is less likely to put out CO than a gas appliance like a stove/oven or heater(if you have one).   If you put it in the engine compartement it won't detect CO from the other sources that might be a hazard to folks in the cabin.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Roc

I installed an MTS CO detector in the Aft cabin.  I've seen this unit installed in many boats at the boat shows.  I put it there because it is in the vicinity of the engine. I also have a smoke alarm, purchased at Home Depot, that I velcro'ed to the ceiling of the V-Berth, which is where we sleep.  

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD