Engine controls/steering wires

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I was looking up inside my Edson pedestal from the aft cabin (searching for an alternate route to the pedestal for a large JRC 1500 radar radome wire)and I noticed that the two red engine control cables were being rubbed by the s.s. wires connecting the steering chain to the quadrant on the rudder shaft. I am concerned that over time the steering wires will cut into the cables or vice versa and cause a failure in one system or the other.

I tried freeing up the engine control cables and moving them into different positions from below but they are very stiff and won't cooperate. I am contemplating unbolting the black pedestal base plate and effecting some more permanent form of separation but that would probably be very complex and could lead to unintended consequences.  

I searched the site and can't find any reference to this dilemma. Has anyone ever had this problem and come up with an effective solution?

Cheers
John Langford
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Mike Smith

John -
I have not run across your problem, but when I installed an angled pedestal guard on Breezer I found the PO had run 5 power/data cables up to the instruments through the pedestal! All those wires and moving parts don't mix. It sounds like your control cables may be too short - mine are easily moved around within the pedestal.

Good Luck,
Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

John Langford

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the observation. I am still puzzling how to fix the problem I recorded in the first post.

In the 1999 version of the Edson pedestal, there is a black metal base in the aft cabin (under the fibreglass cover)with holes for the two steering wires and three other holes. The morse control wires occupy two of those holes (and one of these is shared with a wire to power the compass light) and even when I free them up from the series of cable restraints and electrical ties found in the lazarette area I am only able to move one of the morse controls enough to stop it from bearing on the steering wires. The size of the holes doesn't allow for the kind of repositioning of the control cables that you seem to have been able to effect in your situation.

As I am faced with the need to get a fat radar cable, the radar power cable and the skinny antenna wire for a Standard Horizon chart plotter down the remaining unused leg of the 1" pedestal guard (the other leg being taken up with wiring for the autopilot and three instruments) I am still considering using the pedestal route for this wiring instead. I have half a mind to cut a substantial access hatch in the front of the pedestal and use that access to run and secure all the cables so that they don't touch the steering wires and then cover the access hatch with an aluminum plate that I could screw into place and remove when required. Has anybody done that?

Cheers
John
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

shekinahsailor

John, as regards your delemma of running the Radar Scanner, Radar Power and GPS wires down the starboard 1" guard, I just completed that task last Saturday.  It wasn't easy and it took a lot of lubricant but it did work. (I also have the drive cable for the autopilot in that tube).  It helps to drill out the cockpit floor under the guard to the full 7/8" diam. There's an excellent thread on this installation in the Catalina 36 website.  Good luck.

John Langford

Thanks John. Very heartening advice and I think I found the right thread on the C36 site. I will get a 7/8" hole saw and do it right.

Two questions. What kind of lubricant did you use? How big a hole did you feel comfortable drilling in the pedestal guard to accommodate the wiring? I worry about weakening the guard and having it bend under pressure.

Cheers,
John
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

shekinahsailor

John, I used wire pulling lubricant borrowed from a fellow sailor.  I think it was called yellow 77 but I don't have it now to verify.  I did  just do a search and there's a million types out there.  I started out using liquid dish soap but it dries quickly and tacks.  Any electric supply store should have the correct lubricants.  As to the hole size in the guard, there too I drilled a 7/8", filed off the edges and am happy with the results.  My attitude was, the worst i can do is destroy the guard and then I'd be forced to buy the 1-1/4" replacement guard from Edson for a few Boat Units...  No fears, it worked well.  Hope it goes well for you too.

John Langford

I found a way to reduce my concern about the rubbing of the Edson steering cables on the morse controls inside the Edson pedestal. Slide a length of 3/8" shroud cover over each control and push the two lengths of shroud cover up into the pedestal until they cover the morse control cables at the point where they rub on the steering cables. The shroud cover material is thin and tough and will protect the morse control cables from wear. Also, it is easy to reposition or replace if there is much wear on the shroud covers. Total cost: under $3.00!!! My kind of solution.

Cheers,
John
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S