Galley sink replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Krawford

I've just torn out the galley countertop and am going to attempt to replace it with some Corian that I salvaged.  I'll keep you posted.
I'm considering replacing the double sink with a single.
Has anyone done this?  The 17 x 25" cutout is a somewhat non-standard size.  Has anyone found a source for a single sink this size with a price that is not over the top?
Thanks.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Jon Schneider

Did you ever do this?  I'm considering the same thing on my 1990 Mk I (#1058).  How did the sink come out?  Is it attached with anything other than caulk?  Any problems prying the countertop out?  Any pix?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

One of the earliest Projects: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-counter-top.html

Didn't replace with one sink, although there seems to be some advantages of having two: one wet, one dry for washing and one for drying.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Susan Ray

Ken, With the counter out, can't you replace the sink with any size? If you use the old 17x 25 where will  you put the faucet? Just wondering.....
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Ken Krawford

Susan,

Here's a picture of what I ended up doing.  It's been a couple of years since the project and I don't remember the exact dimensions of the new sink.  I didn't have too much trouble removing the old counter top.  There were quite a few screws and lots of silicone.  The new sink is held to the Corian with metal clips just like in a residential application.  That was quite a chore tightening those down.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Mike Vaccaro

Ken,

Just finished replacing the countertop, all of the cabinets and the small bulkhead in the galley (amazing how much effort a 15 dollar tube of polysulfide can save a subsequent owner!).  Could not find a double sink of sufficient depth that fit in the existing hole (at any price!), so we re-used the original with all new hardware.  The admiral likes the deep, double sink arrangement, so going to a single sink wasn't an option.  Did run across several single sinks that would have worked.  Since you're cutting the counter, you should be able to install any size you choose that will be accommodated by the fiberglass liner underneath.  Recommend you consider calling the folks at Catalina parts.  Hard to beat OEM prices and no-doubt they'll have something that'll fit.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Jon Schneider

Mike- Did you check with Catalina?
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Mike & Jon : If you look at the 1995 parts list that I put on the web site many years ago here's what you'll find:
F60155   Double Galley Sink   $213.20.  It's amazing what the info on our site -- if you only take a minute to look.

When we saw the first 1986 (way back then!) with a double galley sink; I commented to my 1st Mate,"ridiculous to have a double sink in a sail boat".  SHE thought/thinks it's great and I'd have a mutiny if I even considered replacing it with a single sink!! 
To each his own!?!    :->

Ron, Apache #788