Stipid questions should be welcome

Previous topic - Next topic

johnkountz

I am getting annoyed by some of the posts on this forum. So much so that I basically do not use this site anymore and at this point I see no reason to renew my membership.

I've gotten to the point where I no longer want to post anything because I am sure one of the moderators will post a comment that my question has already been discussed, and that I should not post questions that have already been answered.

Then this month I get my "MainSheet" and find more of the same in the C34 section.

I search the site before I make a post but if I fail to devine the correct search text I end up posting a message which more than likely gets a response that I am just too dumb.

Thought you should know and that others agree with me.

'89 #936 - Tranquility

Stu Jackson

John

Sorry you feel that way.

Perhaps you could reread the last paragraph of the Mainsheet column, and try, try again.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

johnkountz

I read and understood completely, and so did a number of other people.

'89 #936 - Tranquility

Stu Jackson

Sorry, John, I should have said the last sentence.  

I'm truly disappointed if any feel discouraged from availaing themselves of the information here.

Perhaps this can close this thread.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

burner

John, I feel the same way, and was truly annoyed at the article in Mainsheet as well.  I'm leaving this forum, not because of this, (although it is a mark in the plus column), as I recently lost my 34 to fire and have just purchased a 38.  During the time spent shopping, I spent time on the 36 site as well as the 38.  Nowhere except for the 34 site are posters chastised constantly about asking questions that have been answered before.  I think a lot of people are being put off by the attitude that is extremely apparent on this message board.  For some reason, it is assumed that if a subject has been discussed, then it should not be discussed again.  Can't understand why - if someone isn't interested in a subject - they don't just move on to the next post.

saltydog

Larry

I also refrain from asking anything on this
board for fear of being chastised.

hdevera

I sympathize with your disappointment, However, I believe that trying to contain repetitive threads makes it easier for those wishing to do searches to read through them.  Also repeating the same topic will use up valuable space available on the website (I assume there is a LIMITED amount of space available i.e. memory available to the website).  Perhaps being slightly more tactful would be more appropriate.  I can imagine it is difficult for those individuals who daily monitor and manage the website have difficulty containing their frustrations.  So if we ask ignorant or repetitive questions, please forgive us.  Anyway that's my two cents.  Thank you to the guys who monitor and manage this website.  I believe you're doing a great job.

Randy Stolze

When I was in graduate school I learned about the importance of a "search of the literature".It pays homage to previous work on the subject and prepares the researcher for further work in the field.

I think we are all suffering from cabin fever and have way too much shore time on our hands. Have you noticed how little chatter there is on this board in July and August?

This is the greatest database of knowledge on the C34. Thank you to all the hard work of present and previous voluteers.
Randy

Richie

I am a guest, as I have just put an offer in on a C34 - 1986...
I have asked many questions, been given previous threads to look at, and tons of helpful advice. I will be joining the association. I on ocassion will ask a few stupid questions, but the answer, no matter what form it takes, has always given me great knowledge or access to it. Thanks to all who have helped me!!
And yes....I am in need of time on the lakes!!

Gene Regan

Richie,
  Glad to have you aboard and we look forward to hearing from you on this board . The info available for those who understand how to find it is very useful and for those who don't there is always help pointing you in what is most times the right direction.
  Its sad that some feel as though they are being chastized for asking questions but I do not think that anyone does it with that intention. I still believe that the only dumb question is the one not asked and stupid is as stupid does.
  John you have te right to feel and act as you feel , please reconsider, we all have bad days.
  I'm having way too much fun on this board to let some things bother me.

ps: John,  check the market place , I may be able to help you with that pole.

Gene Regan

Drink up, me'earties, yo ho

dave davis

I have waited until the Nov. issue of the Mainsheet got here before responding to the recent comments on the massage board. Well, it just arrived and I quickly searched for the C34 section to read what all the fuss was about. In the general section there was a well written comprehensive article about “ using our resources”. In the Technical Notes section there was another great technical review about “Exhaust Riser Replacement”.
These two articles were by the same author. I wish to say, thanks Stu for the tremendous amount of effort and time you put into our organization and I urge you to keep it up. I sincerely hope that the few negative remarks can be factored in.
And that’s the way I see it…Dave Davis
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Mike Smith

Hi John -

I hope you stick around, I enjoy your input and that of all the other members of the association.  Since I spend a good amount of my time teaching, I always advise my students that "The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked".  My rationale is that, as time goes on, what was the correct answer to the question yesterday might not be the correct answer to that same question today or tomorrow. Things change.

Having said that, I also remind them of the quote attributed to Harry Truman, "The only thing new in the world is the history you haven't read." In other words, do your homework and check your references.

In my opinion, the whole point of the C34 association is enjoyment of the C34, sharing C34 information, and promoting camaraderie among C34 owners, crew, and others. We share C34 information in many ways, one of which is this Website and its wonderful message board. Just as some of us have more experience and knowledge of the C34 and its various systems, some of us are more or less skilled or comfortable with use of the Internet, Websites, search engines, and all that.  I too have been concerned when a legitimate question received what I thought was a terse response, but I usually chalk it up to someone just having a bad day, as we all do.

When I read a question, and I remember it being discussed before, I find the thread or article, cut and paste the link into my response and then tell the person how I found it, and I think that's enough. Then (being a Southerner) I give my response a "civility check" and, if it passes, I post it. Maybe this should be in everyone's SOP!

Just my opinion, others may disagree,
Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer WCX8545
www.mikejansmith.com

jentine

I learned long ago that the only "stupid question" is the one not asked.  However, we may not always like the answer.  Sometimes the answer is what we are looking for and sometimes it is "look in the archives under ....." or simply "Did you do a search".  They are all answers.  They are all acceptable.
This is a forum to share information and that is what is done best here.
Jim Kane

rappareems

John,

I agree that the tone of the "moderators" can be a bit condescending but I for one have found a ton of information on this site in my three year membership and refer to it constantly.  Don't give the ship we need all the balance of input we can get.

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario