Install a Bluetooth engine temperature sensor

Previous topic - Next topic

hector9

Hello, I want to install a Bluetooth engine temperature sensor and set it up to alert on my phone when I'm not there.

Which type did you use? Thank.

Noah

Why would your engine be running if you were not there?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Are you thinking of an engine room air temp sensor or an engine coolant temp sensor?
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Ron, Apache #788

robbjd

I installed  Ruuvi tag sensors in my engine compartment, fridge, and one outside at the binnacle. They send their data to your phone when in range, and to my Raymarine Axiom chart plotter. Should have mentioned that the tag data is fed to a Cerbo then to the chart plotter. I can monitor from anywhere as long as the Cerbo or Axiom have wifi access. I also have a sensor in my electronics space, the Cerbo and the solar charge controller shed a lot of heat.

https://ruuvi.com/ruuvitag/
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

waughoo

For Ruuvi tag data to make it off the boat, you're going to need some sort of cellular boat monitoring system.  Victron's Cerbo interfaces with Ruuvi tags and would likely be able to send you a push notification somehow, but I have not set anything up like that before.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

LogoFreak

I have that exact setup, ruuvi tags connected to a cerbo gx. Data available to me on my phone anywhere I am. I have a yachtsense link with cell data as well as Starlink which is how I'm able to see the data when I'm not on the boat.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Noah

Logo- why do you want/need to know all of that temperature data when not onboard? Also, is your Starlink transmitting 24/7 when you are not onboard?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

Noah, it's mostly for monitoring humidity levels and temps over the winter. Also playing with my forced air heater and now it affects temps around the boat.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179