Leak Tank Problem Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger Dieske

Hello together,
My Diesel Tank have a Leek. I can not see exactly where. I have 2 Questions:

What is the tank, Inox or Aluminium?

Where are all Fix/Screws for lose the tank for inspect the tank back part?
I am a cruiser/Liveaboarder from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay at the moment in Mediterranean Sea.

Noah

The tank is aluminum. Remove the Portside plywood panel at foot of the bunk in the aft cabin then you can see/remove the tank. It is held down to the boat with screws.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Holder : Remove the port side panel in the aft cabin.

I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article w/pictures on that tank removal - for cleaning!! After removal you can look at the tank for the pinhole leak/s, but most of us have just replaced the entire tank!! Rather that just repairing one leak!!!

A few thought
Ron, Apache #788

Holger Dieske

Thank you very much. I live permanently on board and am currently in the Mediterranean (Greece right now). So unfortunately I have no possibility to browse through the old Mainsheets or to get a suitable replacement tank quickly.
I have removed the wooden wall and now I can see 6 screws on the right side that hold the tank to the ship via an angle iron. Then I can see some kind of rubber all the way around. Are these 6 screws the only thing holding the tank in place?
The next problem will be to find the leak. My plan is to leave the tank in the Aft and continue working. A boat mechanic advised me to use 2-component glue. However, it is difficult to find the best material or really competent help.
We'll see, take courage... :klatschen
I am a cruiser/Liveaboarder from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay at the moment in Mediterranean Sea.

scgunner

Holger,

A two part epoxy will work for sealing pin holes the fuel has no effect on the epoxy. It's a temporary fix because when you seal one sooner or later another one pops up. It should work until you can get to where the tank can be repaired or replaced.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

The only thing holding the tank in should be the screws through the angle iron and the tank plumbing and sender and grounding wires.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Hogler : Have never done this before but here is a suggestion: Empty the tank as well as possible and remove it from the boat. Take acetone and clean all surfaces. Then mix up some 2 part epoxy and paint it on a surface and let it dry. After you have all surfaces coated, reinstall the tank and refill -
"keep your fingers crossed"!!!
Ron, Apache #788

Holger Dieske

... THX! I removed the the diesel and I lose the tank. The rank stays in the aft now and tomorrow I will inspect it for the leak. If I don't find any leak, the Idea from Ron a good possibility

Holger Dieske

@Ron: would you use a fiberglass mat an if yes, what kind?

Ron Hill

Holger : Yes, I'd use some thin grade fiber glass mat over the leak area, but I'd still coat a large area around the leak itself. Then recoat a second time after the first coat + mat has set!!

I'm going the guess that the leak is near the bottom and even may be on a bend. Leaks are usually caused by water(H2O)inside the tank becoming acidy and eating thru the Aluminum Alloy. I always used "MDR" oil based "Water Zorb" to assimilate the water. I don't use alcohol based water assimilator!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Holger Dieske

Ok. If I not find the leak, I will complete coating the thank with epoxy and mat. I hope, I find tomorrow. Good night for today and best wishes from Greece

Holger Dieske

Ok, I have found the leaks. In the bottom of the tank ist contact corrosion. The contact to the screws (iron) from the rubber foundament line. A friend of me talk, this  Bipol-corrossion.
I have pictures but I don't know how I bring in the forum

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Holger Dieske

Ted Pounds

Holger, I think that will fix it and prevent any more leaks. Great job! 👍😎
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447