New VHF cable and antenna to be used with Vesper Cortex AIS

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

Getting close to launch time here in the freezing north, and need to replace the VHF cable, as it's in poor condition at the masthead; crack and inner shielding is showing.

Recently installed a Vesper Cortex as well, and the antenna is also older so I'd like to replace the cable, and antenna.

Anyone have recommenedations a setup for the Cortex, or in general with respect to VHF cable, and shared VHF/AIS antennas etc?
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waughoo

When I had my mast down, I wanted to make preparations for a future AIS install along with reviving the VHF infrastructure.  I pulled LMR-400 Ultraflex to the top of the mast and installed a Vesper combo AIS/VHF metal whip antena. This antena is tuned to work as best as possible across the VHF band and the AIS band.

At some time later I bought a Vesper Cortex while keeping my VHF.  THE cortex has a splitter built in to allow one less item to be purchased and installed.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Hey Alex!

I'm wondering on your install why you chose 400 and not LMR240?

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Ken,

I was looking at what my transmit power would be at the antenna based on different cable sizes and found there was a rather significant drop in signal wattage with 240 (or anything smaller than lmr400).  I figured since I was installing new, I would go with the biggest I could get.  The cable run to the top of the mast from the radio ends up being 80 ish feet and has a union at the base of the mast and now goes through my AIS first before getting to/from the radio which adds a number of other connectors.  With all this in mind, it seemed to be the best choice to go BIG!!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 13, 2024, 09:38:39 AMYou may want to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALuKTUG6bHo&list=PLsT7_jPsZM5pFpq8RX0oxjibknM2Gz361&index=30

Jim

Thanks for that! Very helpful.

Looks like it's going to be RG213.
https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?addToCart&category=10002|10090|11169&product=79019611&code=VHF%2002

And some of these connectors.
https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10054|10055|10093&product=79009640&code=8051566301874

What's the best way to fish the replacement cable through the mast, and I guess I should replace the interior wiring running to the radio with the same 213 if it isn't already; I doubt it is.

About the antenna, any suggestions for a good AIS antenna?

waughoo

I have been rather fond of the vesper AIS/VHF tuned antenna.  I chose that because it is tuned to work as best as possible for the two frequency ranges you'll be sharing it with.  A dedicated AIS only antenna can be tuned for maximum performance on the AIS range, however it would not do well for VHF (and vice versa).
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

pbyrne

Quote from: waughoo on March 18, 2024, 04:40:08 PMI have been rather fond of the vesper AIS/VHF tuned antenna.  I chose that because it is tuned to work as best as possible for the two frequency ranges you'll be sharing it with.  A dedicated AIS only antenna can be tuned for maximum performance on the AIS range, however it would not do well for VHF (and vice versa).

I saw that one.  Is there something special about the Vesper one as opposed to Shakespeare #5215-AIS 36" Classic AIS Squatty Body Antenna https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10054|10055|10644&product=79035986&code=719441100810

I ask, as the local chandlery has the Shakespeare products, but not the Vesper specific.  I'm sure it could be ordere, but does it matter?

robbjd

I went through this same exercise last season when I added a Vesper AIS, and antenna to our boat. AT that time Garmin who now own the Vesper name and product line told me that the Vesper antenna was sold out and was most likely being phased out. I purchased the equivalent Shakespeare 5215 AIS antenna and can attest to great performance with this antenna. A quick online search found the Vesper antenna out of stock at Garmin, and several retailers.

John
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

waughoo

Quote from: pbyrne on March 18, 2024, 05:50:11 PMI ask, as the local chandlery has the Shakespeare products, but not the Vesper specific.  I'm sure it could be ordere, but does it matter?

It likely does not.  I happen to like the vesper products, but any antenna that is made to handle both vhf and ais bands will likely perform fine.  The Shakespeare should do well.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

pbyrne

Quote from: waughoo on March 18, 2024, 07:14:03 PM
Quote from: pbyrne on March 18, 2024, 05:50:11 PMI ask, as the local chandlery has the Shakespeare products, but not the Vesper specific.  I'm sure it could be ordere, but does it matter?

It likely does not.  I happen to like the vesper products, but any antenna that is made to handle both vhf and ais bands will likely perform fine.  The Shakespeare should do well.

Yes, I like them too.  The Cortex has been good if a bit complex!  Can't seem to find link for the antenna though.  Maybe Garmin has killed it off...