How to run cable inside deck-stepped mast without unstepping?

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulfsailor

Have a new wind instrument (there wasn't one on this boat) that I am hoping to install. Is there any way to run the cable from the masthead into the cabin without unstepping the mast?

I see what looks like a messenger string at the bottom of the compression post n the bilge. 

This is my first deck-stepped mast. On our keel stepped mast it was simple.

Thanks in advance.
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Ron Hill

Gulf : Would you believe - that I wrote an article in the August 1995 Mainsheet tech notes on your very question!!   :clap

Great INFO in those old tech notes!!   :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Gulfsailor

Thanks for citing the date of your article. I think your 88 is a keel stepped mast. Mine is deck-stepped so there is no continuous channel from mast head to bilge.

Rick
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Ron Hill

Rick : You can do what I did, but you'll have to "lean" the mast to get the wind wire to join up with the other (inside the mast) wires!!
Another thought is to get a fork lift to lift the mast (slightly) to get at/join with the other wires!!

A thought - Good Luck!!
Ron, Apache #788

Gulfsailor

The rigger climbed the mast on confirmed no messenger line at the masthead. He's going to cut an access port at the base and install new VHF coax and a new anchor light at the same time he's installing the wind transducer and cable.

$450 to drive to my dock and spend two hours aboard already with no work being done yet. Ouch!
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHe's going to cut an access port at the base and install new VHF coax and a new anchor light at the same time he's installing the wind transducer and cable.

Why not un-step the mast?  A more elegant install and the opportunity to do a better inspection.  I'm surprised the rigger didn't suggest that.
Sure is nice belonging to a DYI yacht club.  When I have mast work I get a couple of guys buy a case of beer and un-step the mast.  Do the work at my time.  Buy another case of beer and step the mast.  And the beer is optional but apricated.
Jim     
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Rick : If you are going to have more work done (adding a new anchor light) I'd have the mast unstepped and put on saw horses. Then do all of the work at the same time. 
I finally had my mast pulled and added a Hinkley TV antenna, change the deck light/steaming light wire, changed the anchor light & its wiring.

You are going to have to join the wind wire thru the deck so might as well just remove the mast and get everything done at the same time!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Gulfsailor

Unstepping is not a viable option at this time since the nearest place to do that is over 40 miles away. When I was in Pensacola my rigger was 1/4 across the bayou! I miss those days (and MUCH better sailing grounds too)
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Jim Hardesty

QuoteUnstepping is not a viable option at this time since the nearest place to do that is over 40 miles away.

Bummer.  Did the rigger explain his plan to run the wire up through the compression post then seal it inside the mast?  The wiring on Shamrock is in a short pipe, 8"? high, then all sealed with sealer, maybe silicon but not sure.  Don't see how it happens, unless the wire is run outside the compression post then thru the deck around the mast step then into the mast.  I just mention this because you may not know the rigger's plan and like it. I would expect his cost, labor, to be quite a bit. But then he may have experience with this and have a good solution.  I'd want to know before he starts drilling and cutting.
If you really feel the wind instrument is necessary, perhaps wireless would be a good choice for you.
As always, Your boat your choice.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Rick : There are at least two ways to pull the mast that I know of.

The first time I went into the travel lift slip (in the water) and we pulled it mast with a forklift!! The second time we pulled the mast (boat on land) with the travel lift. 

Yours being deck stepped is one heck of a lot easier to pull than a keel stepped mast!!!!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on March 23, 2024, 06:32:23 AMThe wiring on Shamrock is in a short pipe, 8"? high, then all sealed with sealer, maybe silicon but not sure.

It's best to seal the top of the wiring conduit using "electrician's putty," available at a big box.   (It's kinda the consistency of plumbers putty.)
It seals permanently but is easily removed if necessary.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain