What are your boating plans this season?

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyBC

For those of us in the colder climates, launch day is a mere 10 or so weeks away!  :clap

What plans do you have for your C34 this season?  Sailing destinations?  Projects - both the enjoyable ones and the ones that you are dreading?

My sailing plans:
-Last season, my first with this C34, I took out 80+ of my family/friends/friends of friends for local lake ontario day sailing.  This season, I would like to match that.
-In addition to the day sailling, I plan to do a couple of short weekend overnights nearby, plus a long 180 nm sail to the thousand islands area.

Projects/Maintenance:
-The usual spring commissioning
-Buff, polish and wax the hull
-Clean the mast and maybe wax it
-Fix a couple of port light leaks (probably new gaskets)
-Replace all running rigging
-Replace life lines
-Replace sanitation hoses
-Replace freshwater hoses
-Install new chartplotter and integrate with the EV-100 autopilot that I installed last season (already bought the Raymarine Axiom 9+, just waiting for a warm day to install)
-Install new AIS transceiver (already bought the em-trak B954)
-Install new wind indicator and wind transducer on mast, plus i70s MFD and DST800 triducer (depth/speed/temp)
-Label all electrical wires

I'm dreading replacing the sanitation hoses.  I'm most looking forward to installing the electronics, and oddly enough also looking forward to labelling all the wires.  It's such a short sailing season here, so I'm going to try hard to finish 75% of the above list by launch day, and leave the remaining 25% plus any unplanned work throughout the season.
1998 C34 MKII #1394 - M35BC, WK

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI'm dreading replacing the sanitation hoses.

I did Shamrock's a few years ago.  Wasn't bad, finding and cutting all the cable ties were what I remember as time consuming.

Thinking of attending the GLCC rendezvous in Escanaba MI.  That would be a couple of months on Shamrock.  :D  Of course that would include the North Channel  :D  A plug for the GLCC, Great Lakes Cruising Club, terrific information on Great Lakes harbors and anchorages.  Their harbor reports take a lot of the mystery of pulling into an unfamiliar harbor, marina or anchorage.  Also the GLCC school, webinars, are great, I recommend the weather series for anyone.
https://www.glcclub.com/.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Andy,

Whenever I do work on the sanitation system (toilet, holding tank, hoses) I always wear a respirator. Working in such close quarters the fumes can be quite overpowering to the point where I've actually gotten a headache, to say nothing of working with the horrible smell. Using a respirator you don't smell a thing.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWorking in such close quarters the fumes can be quite overpowering to the point where I've actually gotten a headache, to say nothing of working with the horrible smell.

A season before I changed the sanitation hoses I started using Noflex.  Was impressed with how clean and lack of smell in the system.  Of course the old, original hose was permeated and need changed.  FWIW it's what Peggy Hull recommends.

https://www.amazon.com/BoatersMate-Noflex-Digestor-Treatment-Eliminator/dp/B07C7HRV4P

Jim

Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

AndyBC

Quote from: scgunner on February 22, 2024, 06:25:33 AMWhenever I do work on the sanitation system (toilet, holding tank, hoses) I always wear a respirator. Working in such close quarters the fumes can be quite overpowering to the point where I've actually gotten a headache, to say nothing of working with the horrible smell. Using a respirator you don't smell a thing.

Thanks Kevin, that's a good idea.  I was planning to use a KN95 + goggles (wouldnt want any backsplash in my eyes!), but I'll take your advice and buy a respirator to be more safe.  Is Top Gun's holding tank original?

AndyBC

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on February 22, 2024, 05:31:10 AM
QuoteI'm dreading replacing the sanitation hoses.

I did Shamrock's a few years ago.  Wasn't bad, finding and cutting all the cable ties were what I remember as time consuming.

Thinking of attending the GLCC rendezvous in Escanaba MI.  That would be a couple of months on Shamrock.  :D  Of course that would include the North Channel  :D  A plug for the GLCC, Great Lakes Cruising Club, terrific information on Great Lakes harbors and anchorages.  Their harbor reports take a lot of the mystery of pulling into an unfamiliar harbor, marina or anchorage.  Also the GLCC school, webinars, are great, I recommend the weather series for anyone.
https://www.glcclub.com/.

Good point about the cable ties, I'll need to hunt all those down.  Regarding the toilet discharge hose that heads aft into the cabinetry (left of the toilet when looking from the front), and then up and finally swings right (fwd) towards the nav hanging locker: did you take out the old one first and then measure for the new one, or did you buy the new one first and then attach it to the old and pull it through in one step?  also does shamrock's toilet discharge hose first go to a Y-valve in the hanging locker before heading fwd to the holding tank?  my boat originally came from florida, and has been on lake ontario for the past 10 years or so, but still has a functioning Y-valve.  The survey noted that this should be removed or disabled.

Thanks for the info about GLCC!  I'll definitely check it out.  I currently use Ports as my lake cruising guide, but always happy to obtain more info!

Will also look into NoFlex.  This past season I used Odorlos - are they comparable products?

Kyle Ewing

Biggest plan for me is to acclimate our new dog to Donnybrook.  She's a mini-goldendoodle who should be 20-25 pounds when full grown.  She'll be 9 months old at the start of sailing season.

I have no significant projects (knock on wood) other than a deep clean, decluttering and extra wax.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Jim Hardesty

Quote from: AndyBC on February 22, 2024, 06:54:37 AMWill also look into NoFlex.  This past season I used Odorlos - are they comparable products?

I had no problem when I switched from odorlos to noflex.  Just did a good pump out and started using noflex.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Ed Shankle

When did Peggie Hall switch allegiance from Raritan K.O.to no flex? Haven't heard of noflex until now.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWhen did Peggie Hall switch allegiance from Raritan K.O.to no flex? Haven't heard of noflex until now.

My statement saying Peggie Hall recommended noflex may be out of date, that was a few years ago.  I remember something about noflex adding oxygen. Was thinking about adding the larger, below the rubrail vent, now using noflex and don't seem to need it. It works for me, but I was 95% happy with odorlos.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

scgunner

Andy,

The N95 is a particulate mask and won't do much to block the smell. You can find a good inexpensive respirator for around $35 at Home Depot or most building supply stores. While you're there it's a good idea to pick up an extra pack of filters.

Regarding Top Gun's holding tank, no it's not the original. Several years ago it developed a big crack in the side you can imagine how that went or maybe you won't want to. Catalina supplied me with a new exact replacement from Ronco. For that project the respirator was worth it's weight in gold.

FYI, I'm on my 2nd or 3rd head pump (that doesn't count rebuilds) and 3rd or 4th macerator pump as well as various hose replacements so my respirator has come in handy.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

AndyBC

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on February 22, 2024, 05:31:10 AMThinking of attending the GLCC rendezvous in Escanaba MI.  That would be a couple of months on Shamrock.  :D  Of course that would include the North Channel  :D

Jim that's an amazing trip!  Is 2 months the longest you've been on Shamrock?  How many in your crew?  I've heard many good things about the beautiful north channel.  I would need a solid amount of time off to sail there from the toronto area, but what an adventure it would be!

AndyBC

Quote from: Kyle Ewing on February 22, 2024, 07:06:04 AMBiggest plan for me is to acclimate our new dog to Donnybrook.  She's a mini-goldendoodle who should be 20-25 pounds when full grown.  She'll be 9 months old at the start of sailing season.

I have no significant projects (knock on wood) other than a deep clean, decluttering and extra wax.

Awesome - is the dog able to go up and down the companionway steps?

Do you have no significant projects because you've owned your C34 for awhile now and completed the major things already?  Now just in maintenance mode?

AndyBC

Quote from: scgunner on February 23, 2024, 07:18:03 AMAndy,

The N95 is a particulate mask and won't do much to block the smell. You can find a good inexpensive respirator for around $35 at Home Depot or most building supply stores. While you're there it's a good idea to pick up an extra pack of filters.

Regarding Top Gun's holding tank, no it's not the original. Several years ago it developed a big crack in the side you can imagine how that went or maybe you won't want to. Catalina supplied me with a new exact replacement from Ronco. For that project the respirator was worth it's weight in gold.

FYI, I'm on my 2nd or 3rd head pump (that doesn't count rebuilds) and 3rd or 4th macerator pump as well as various hose replacements so my respirator has come in handy.

Thanks, I will pick up the respirator and filter packs on my next trip to home depot for sure.

Ouch the holding tank fix must have been quite the project!  Was it due to a particular incident, or just old age?  Mine hasn't leaked yet, not sure if there's anything to do to delay this from happening.

I changed out the macerator pump on my previous C34, as well as rebuilt the head pump.  The current C34 has a bellows pump, which apparently is better than the impeller style pumps.  I also have electric flush on my head, which is more convenient than the manual pump but I dont have a backup plan if it stops working one day while out cruising.

Kyle Ewing

@Andy, she's never been on the boat. I'm guessing up the stairs will be easy and going down tricky...

I did a lot of projects during Covid and, after 20 years, have Donnybrook more or less where I want her.  There always more I could do, but don't make sense right now.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/