Green light at navigation panel and Oberdorfer raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulfsailor

As we make our way through our list two things I plan to tackle first:

1) The original Sherwood RWP started weeping on our six hour delivery. I've ordered the Oberdorfer N202M-908 that is a newer version that does not require modification to fit. Fingers crossed. 

2) I've noticed that the little green light (AC indicator) on the electric switch panel at the nav station is not illuminated. I know we have AC, as the battery charger shows power as do the outlets when I plug in an iPhone charger. Any ideas on what could cause this not to be lit when plugged into shore power? Is there a replacement bulb or diode?

Thank you in advance.
Rick

1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Gulfsailor on December 28, 2023, 07:41:20 AM

>>>>>>

2) I've noticed that the little green light (AC indicator) on the electric switch panel at the nav station is not illuminated. I know we have AC, as the battery charger shows power as do the outlets when I plug in an iPhone charger. Any ideas on what could cause this not to be lit when plugged into shore power? Is there a replacement bulb or diode?

Rick

Rick,

Those little green lights have been notorious for an early death since they first appeared on our electrical panels.  Mine is for DC power IIRC.  Ron Hill wrote about them in the late 80s, noting the 12V ones would die, and he replaced his with a 24V one that lasted longer.  Mine died and I got a replacement from Seaward before they went out of business.  After a year it, too, died.  I just gave up.  You could replace the lamp, replace it with a higher voltage rated one or just live with it.  Your boat, your choice.  "D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gulfsailor

1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Ron Hill

Rick : As I also mentioned if you replace that bulb with a 24V bulb it will not shine as bright!!  Mine is still working!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Rick : Look at Radio Shack peanut lights. I used each one to light when the A/C is ON , the water heater ON, battery charger ON and any other A/C items you might have installed!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Gulfsailor

Today I received the new Oberdorfer pump.  It doesn't have any mounting holes, just a round base. (See image) Not sure how it's going to be installed in place of the old Sherwood?

Any ideas or do I need to order mounting hardware too?

My old Sherwood may have the flange clamps.....😵‍💫
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Gulfsailor

1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

waughoo

I did this same oberdorfer switch from a poorly maintained sherwood that spit water.  You have the right pump (I have an m-35).  It has been a while since I dis that project but I recall it being straightforward.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Gulfsailor

1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Paulus

I replaced my green light last spring.  I was able to find them at West Marine and Amazon.  They are 8mm(5/16) will fit the hole in your panel.  West Marine took about 4 weeks to get the light.  Amazon had them to me in 2 days.  West Marine had the exact style that was in my panel.  Catalina did not carry this light due to age of my boat.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Guys : If you need a replacement for the DC ON light (Perko switch) Look at SeaDog they have direct replacement light switches for the Propane and Main power light!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Quote2) I've noticed that the little green light (AC indicator) on the electric switch panel at the nav station is not illuminated. I know we have AC, as the battery charger shows power as do the outlets when I plug in an iPhone charger. Any ideas on what could cause this not to be lit when plugged into shore power? Is there a replacement bulb or diode?

First visually check the wires and connections, give them a light wiggle or very light tug.  Before doing that, make sure to shut the AC power off to the boat, if not the wire to the breaker will be hot.   
I've replaced one or two of the panel indicator lights.  Was so easy and simple don't remember much of the details.  Bought from Amazon, electric requirement (voltage), size (diameter) and appearance were what I looked for.  Got a very good match.  I would suggest you actually see and measure what you want to replace rather than relying on what someone else has replaced.  It's the kind of part that the factory would use what they had available.
Jim

Try this link.   if you order check box for color and voltage
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-24V-LED/dp/B000K2K7BK/ref=asc_df_B000K2K7BK&mcid=f8633ee1c3c23b9dadd62aa42ddf2c7b?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80058242182192&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583657821607093&th=1
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : The green DC light "ON" for the 1986-1988 are larger than the 1989 and subsequent switches!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Gulfsailor on December 28, 2023, 04:24:31 PM
Today I received the new Oberdorfer pump.  It doesn't have any mounting holes, just a round base. (See image) Not sure how it's going to be installed in place of the old Sherwood?

Any ideas or do I need to order mounting hardware too?

My old Sherwood may have the flange clamps.....😵‍💫

Re this and your photo in reply #6, I don't know where you got the part # with the 908 from.

This thread has photos of my Oberdorfer and reply #12 in it gives model numbers.
Oberdorfer Pump Rebuild 101 - http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gulfsailor

Replaced the old Sherwood raw water pump with the new Oberdorfer today. Pretty straightforward swap out with the guidance provided here on the forum. Thanks all!

Next I will tackle the leaking Lewmar ports with new O-rings, gaskets and applying Sikaflex to the horizontal channels in the frames. 
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL