Green light at navigation panel and Oberdorfer raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

QuoteReplaced the old Sherwood raw water pump with the new Oberdorfer today. Pretty straightforward swap out with the guidance provided here on the forum. Thanks all!

I suggest you rebuild the "old" Sherwood pump.  The rebuild kit wasn't much money and was easy to install. Nice to have a spare.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

Cool Change 1989 #944

Gulfsailor

Thanks. I plan to rebuild the Sherwood using the information posted here.  Now I'm looking for the best price for the kit. Prices are all over the place....Depco vs other online sources. 

Stay Cool Pumps $92 https://staycoolpumps.com/store/p313/_Repair_Kit_For_Sherwood_Pumps_G903_,_G908.html

Marine Pump Direct $133 https://marinepumpdirect.com/sherwood-major-repair-kit-25108/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4a6I1PvIgwMVHU1HAR2WlADmEAQYASABEgIJBfD_BwE
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Ron Hill

Rick : I wrote a detailed article on rebuilding Sherwood Pumps (Mainsheet tech notes).  Make sure that you use a stainless "C" clip, because the copper/bronze "C" clip will be eaten alive by salt water!!  I note that in my article!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Gulfsailor

Thanks Ron.  I read your article and it will provide a good roadmap to follow.
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Gulfsailor on December 28, 2023, 04:25:23 PM
Here is the image....I think.

I don't know which pump model you installed BUT here's the facts for anyone else who wants to make the switch

The older engine models (m-25, XP, 35, etc) that are NOT "B" model engines, the Ob pump is the N202M-16, "square" mounting flange.  If your Sw pump was a bolt-on (like the way older bolt-on Sw pumps) it will be a direct replacement.

If your Sw has a round, clip-on base you remove 6mm set screws from the TWO (unused) mounting holes on the gear cover. Install 6mm studs in the four holes in the cover and bolt up the Ob pump.
Hint: the square Kubota mounting gasket is better than the Wedterbeke one.

You can use the direct replacement N908M Ob pump BUT it's unnecessary to spend the extra cash for it.

If you have the "B" series engine the direct replacement is the N908M Ob pump.
BUT that's also an unnecessary extra cost if you are handy with a Dremel or angle grinder.   The N202M-16 pump can be reworked to be a bolt-on mount pump on the "B" engines.

(If the Sw was clip-on) once you remove the two setscrews in the gear cover and install the studs the pump land will look like the below, ready for the bolt-on N202M-16 pump.

If anyone has any oddball situation or questions just email me.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain