New Catalina 34 Member

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulfsailor

Hello all,

Just purchased a 1998 34 MK II from the original owners who loved her and took great care. We are in the Tampa area in New Port Richey.

After owning a 89 Ericson 32-200 for the past 13 years, I was looking for an online owners group that had the same level of support and information. This group definitely has it!

Some of the items we are needing to address include replacing the standing rigging, a fresh set of sails, sealing those pesky Lewmar port leaks and adding an 16k BTU AC system. 

Happy Holidays!

Rick
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Ron Hill

Rick : Let me be the first to "Welcome You Aboard" . Our site has a wealth of information on your MKII C34.  If you can't find the answer, just ask and you'll get a number of answers!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Gulfsailor

1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

Stu Jackson

Welcome, Rick.  I'm aware of the Ericson owners group and active website/forum.  You'll find the same kind of helpful folks here.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

Welcome Rick,
Congratulations, hope you enjoy your 34MKll as much as I do Shamrock. Also, that you find this group to be as helpful as I do.  As for the air-conditioning project, there's a number of them well documented here.   I found them very helpful when I added air-conditioning to Shamrock.
FWIW.  Found that most of the "do this or else" list was not necessary on Shamrock.  Still wouldn't hurt to check them off.  I'm thinking of 2 that apply, reinforcement ring on the camshaft for the raw water pump and an engine bracket that was prone to cracking at a bend.
Happy Sailing,
Jim

PS.  Great quote about powerboats and sailboats.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

Quotesealing those pesky Lewmar port leaks

Rick,
If you haven't done so yet.  Clean the gaskets, water and paper towels work for me, and apply a very thin layer of Super Lube or equivalent.  That works for me. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Gulfsailor

Thanks Jim!

I had to replace all the gaskets and o rings our Ericson. I spoke with a nice gentleman (Warren) at Catalina about the leaky ports. The PO told me he narrowed the leak to the horizontal stip of sealant between the upper and lower outside frames. Warren said the fix was to dig out the failed sealant (with a toothpick) and fill the void with Sikaflex.

We installed a new Mermaid 16k on our Ericson in the aft cabin hanging locker. A 88 C34 we looked at had the unit in the hanging locker by the nav station with the duct work running along the port side with vents in all three cabins.

Any info you can share on your installation would be great!

Stu, thank you for welcoming me in!
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Jim Hardesty

QuoteAny info you can share on your installation would be great!

Rick,
I purchased from www.oceanbreezeac.com they were very helpful both with the layout and with some easy issues after.  The kit from them had almost everything needed, the only added purchases were some electrical and plumbing from local big box hardware.  Not much at all.  At their recommendation I didn't add a second shore power supply.  It's safe, the breakers would trip if overloaded.  I do see many installations with a second shore power but I've not had a problem.
My paperwork is on the boat, so from memory.  After a lot of thought I installed under the v-berth, lost only a pretty useless drawer.  Ducts were run behind the settees and the starboard v-berth cabinet with a box I made to vent to the v-berth and salon.   Added some sound insulation and it's no problem to sleep in the v-berth and it's quiet enough to be hardly noticed in the salon. I'm happy with that, although the aft berth doesn't cool well, but it's rarely used.  I think a booster fan would help. If you're one of the aft berth sleepers, may not work for you.  Cools enough for my occasional guest with the door open and a fan. 
One additional thing/cost I would recommend is a set of cockpit doors.  I have Zucor and very much like them.  Using the drop boards let in a lot of hot air every time entered.

Hope that helps,
Jim

Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Noah

IMO- I think bandaid  "patching" your opening port's caulking is not a good solution for the longterm.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Rick : On those "pesty Lewmar leaks". Try spraying the gaskets with silicone - it makes the "rubber" nimble again!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThe PO told me he narrowed the leak to the horizontal stip of sealant between the upper and lower outside frames.

I'd look and see for myself.  Had good luck with "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure" despite the funny name.     https://captaintolley.com/ 
Easy to use and no harm if it doesn't work.  Think it's sold on Amazon and a lot of other places.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

waughoo

Welcome to the forum!! 

As for the lewmars, I ended up rebedding all mine using butyl.  It requires a few "tightenings" to get them fully sealed, but I find when properly compressed, it does quite a great job.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Gulfsailor

Thank you all!

I've been using Mainsail's butyl tape for years. Great stuff.
1998 C34 MK II
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

AndyBC

Welcome!  Our boats are pretty close in terms of hull number.  I bought mine at the beginning of the 2023 season, currently she's stored for the winter on the hard.  Fixing the pesky lewmar leaks is also on my to-do list prior to spring launch, and potentially new sails plus a number of other things such as new life lines and electronics upgrade.  Thankfully my standing rigging is fine for now (though I did have to do all of the running rigging).  What battery charger do you have on yours?  Is she equipped with a galvanic isolator?

1998 C34 MKII #1394 - M35BC, WK