Location for AIS GPS antenna

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I am installing an AIS in the locker back of the radio. Question: where have folks mounted the AIS GPS antenna and where does the cable run ? Thanks very much.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

KeelsonGraham

On the top of the wet locker next to the chart table. Port side almost under where the side-deck is. Drilled a hole in the top to feed the cable down to the AIS unit. Works just fine - no issues. No superfluous holes in the deck.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Jon W

I mounted the antenna on the bimini. Coax goes through a transition box mounted over a hole in the cockpit coaming where a PO had mounted the autopilot control head. Coax runs along the overhead through the port cockpit locker, head cabinet, navigation station cabinet to the AIS mounted on a panel I installed.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Kyle Ewing

I second Kelson's suggestion as that is where mine is. Unit (Em-trak) is mounted above switch panel so I could see indicator lights worked without external antenna but took awhile to get gps lock. External antenna is more sensitive because I get lock almost immediately with it on the shelf next to the unit.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Noah

Mine is located on the stern pulpit/pushpit, next to the "Princess Seat".  Princess Charisse (my wife) was extra.😂😎
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Cliff : Like any other antenna, I'd get it outside  -  hang it on the pushpit!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Mine is in a slightly similar spot to Noah's and my AIS box is in the black sliding cabinet over the wet locker.  The cable runs from there behind the head mirrored cabinet, into the port lazzerette and then out into the aft lazzerette areas.  Once there you can pick your spot as you wish.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

WTunnessen

Mine has been sitting in the top shelf (former sliding door cabinet) by nav station since early spring has work fine/no issue. AIS unit is there as well. Originally I thought I'd mount outside somewhere but now I'm just going to leave it indoors so I don't have to drill any new holes.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

crieders

I am amazed that you can keep it in the cabin and it works!
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

waughoo

It does work indoors... think of your cell phone's location services and all the places it works.  That said, it can likely see more satellites outside.  Outside is perhaps not completely necessary, but is likely the better installation.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Kyle Ewing

Here's an article that describes ais antenna placement including reference to material gps radio signals pass through (glass and fiberglass) and why you want the antenna lower: https://www.milltechmarine.com/GPS-Antenna-Installation-Tips_b_45.html

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/