Catalina 34 MK II Compression Block Repair or Replace

Previous topic - Next topic

jbmia

Hey Folks,

I posted this in another forum and several folks suggested I post here for a more informed response.. For experienced owners out there, based on pics below of the compression block area, does this look like a case where I could just grind and fill with epoxy or am I looking at pulling the mast & compression post and glassing in a new compression block? If replace, what are the ramifications of putting it off until I can haul out maybe 9 months out...  No other obvious delamination or buckling in the bilge area.  The boat is otherwise very good and well maintained condition, with no major signs of rot... Much appreciation for any guidance.

December 10, 2023  ---  I have removed the photos from this post because I received this message from the owner of this boat: "I hate to trouble you with this but I have my 34 MkII for sale and some tire-kicker came by to see it and then posted pictures on the forum without my consent. In other words, he doesn't have a "property release" required to publish pictures of someone else's property.  You are certainly welcome to leave the post up but without the pictures of my boat."

I believe the owner is quite right.  In the future, please do not ever post photos of someone else's property without their permission.  The content of the replies are helpful, so I have left the written material for future references on the subject matter.  Thanks, Stu

waughoo

It would likely survive till your haulout.  I will defer to others more experienced on the scope of repair.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

You didn't share your year, hull number, or location.  All would help with recommendations.  When I first bought Shamrock, see my signature below for boat details, had similar cracks to what you're showing.  My surveyor contacted Catalina and was told it was not a structural problem.  Didn't see movement with use so wasn't too concerned.  At winter lay-up when the bilge was dry, I opened up the crack and decided for myself it was only in the thick finish that Catalina paints over the inside of the hull. 
For fix, retorqued the keel bolts to specifications, cleaned and opened up the crack then filled with thickened epoxy.  That was about 20 years ago and the crack hasn't returned.
Hope that helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

kh3412

Since you're going to do glass work go ahead and drill into the block and see what you have. My boat was rotted and had to repair. https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9208.msg67300.html#msg67300
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Noah

It depends how old your boat is as to whether there is wood under keel bolts or not. 1988> should not have wood in bilge. Maybe a different story on the MKIIs, but I doubt it.  My guess is your issue is "probably/hopefully" just cosmetic.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

jbmia

Thanks all. 

Yes, this is a late MKII.  I'm unclear from some of the other threads.. It appears post '88ish they went to a stainless compression (block) structure, but it appears from photos in other threads that there's still wood surrounding the metal support... that correct?  If so, I'm assuming this wouldn't be structural.. Yes, probing would with a small drill bit would be revealing.    Appreciate any further context.