Steering

Previous topic - Next topic

Holger Dieske

How can I lose the wheel. Is verry hard fix. The Edson Cap i have screwing Off. And then?
I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

waughoo

Mine comes off by hand.  It should not be a taper.  You could try a gear puller.  I suspect you might have a lot of built up dirt that is causing friction.  Cleaning what you can get to with the wheel on would likely be helpful as well.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Breakin Away

Penetrating oil might help. Be sure to squirt some in/around your Woodruff key, since that's probably the biggest pathway to get penetration through the depth of the hub. Or heat the hub up to expand it slightly (but don't ignite the oil!).
Quote from: waughoo on August 13, 2023, 09:58:34 AM..It should not be a taper...
I pull my wheel off every winter and put it back on in the spring. I don't know for sure, but I vaguely recall the shaft having a very slight taper.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Ron Hill

Holger : With the Edson cap screwed OFF, The wheel should just pull OFF.  As Others have mentioned try some "Blaster" or "Liquid Wrench" penetrating oil.  Then try a mallet/hammer to tap it off.

If that doesn't work try a gear puller!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KeelsonGraham

Yep, pretty sure it has a slight taper Holger. A couple of taps with a wooden mallet should do the trick.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

KWKloeber

Holger

If light taps do not dislodge it, I would buy or borrow a gear puller before I got more aggressive on the pedestal.

The wheel bottoms against a stop so the shaft is straight and it not releasing is not due to it being "tight" (like a prop) but most likely some corrosion or gunk between the shaft and wheel hub.
I'd think a two-arm gear puller on the hub could pop it free.

If you have the resources you can make a puller from three steel bars and three bolts.  If you don't have a tap set to thread holes in the bars you can simply drill oversize holes and use nuts to hold the bolts and to apply the pressure to pull the hub off of the shaft.   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Holger Dieske

OK, thx, i try it with a onger time oil and  the wooden Hammer. The Problem is, I dont have a Lot of Equipment Here. I stay at the Moment in a small greek Island. My autopiot (wheelpilot ist broken)

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

KeelsonGraham

Holger, if you need spare parts for the WheelPilot then I thoroughly recommend these guys:

https://www.svb24.com/

They got a replacement WheelPilot to me in Spain in less than 24 hours!
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Holger Dieske

Thx @ all, done with a puller. I order a new unit/part (the thing on the wheel) from SVB Germany.