Plumbing questions

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

There are two engine hoses connected to the water heater. One goes to the water heater, and the other is the return from the water heater. They are coolant hoses not water hoses.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Dan : Go to your C34 Owner's Manual ( or in our WiKi) and on page 4.3.3 - it has the diagram of the Plumbing Schematic!!!

Any hose running thru the hanging locker is a Previous Owner installed hose - going to??  Maybe for an anchor washer???  or unknown???

A few thoughts   :shock:
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: melp64 on August 15, 2023, 12:35:35 PM

Isn't there water hoses coming off the engine going to the water heater? Those are the hoses I am referring to but as someone stated I am new to this big of a boat with all the different systems.

Dan as Jon explained they are engine coolant hoses.  Look at the engine cooling diagram that I had corrected.  The Water Heater is nothing more than another (albeit huge) Heat Exchanger.  Hot coolant travels from the engine (from the bottom of the Thermostat housing) and heats the potable water that's inside the WH as it passes through it on its way back to the engine (to the top of the closed cooling system pump (not seawater pump).)  The diagram shows two parallel coolant loops, one loop to the Heat Exchanger above the transmission and the other coolant loop to the second heat exchanger (WATER HEATER!!  8) )

If you are new to the boat and know nothing about the condition of the WH I suggest using a pressure test to verify that there is no pinhole leak in the engine coolant tube inside the tank.  If the tube is compromised with a pinhole, under some conditions toxic engine coolant can be forced into the potable water system (which is obviously not good for health.)  It's rare but better safe than....

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Dan : That page 4.3.3 also shows the plumbing for the hot water heater.  Read your OWNERS Manual and you'll learn alot

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

High Current

Quote from: melp64 on August 13, 2023, 05:20:42 PM
Can anyone tell me what the black plastic things are in the first picture, there is several of them in the galley sink area.

Best guess:  looks like it might be an impeller-based flow meter.  Are there wires coming from it?
Ben, #1050, 1990 Mk 1.5 std rig / keel

melp64

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 16, 2023, 01:44:31 PM
Dan : That page 4.3.3 also shows the plumbing for the hot water heater.  Read your OWNERS Manual and you'll learn alot

A thought
Thanks Ron 4.3.3 has the perfect drawing and answers most of the questions I had. I had a lot of this drawn out on a napkin but this is a lot better drawing. It took a bit to get to the manual but now that I found it I will be using this a lot more.
I know I am going to get a lot of  grief for asking this question but what the heck I don't get how the galley sink drains going directly to a thru hull. Wouldn't the outside water come up the drain? I get the sink is above the water line but then how does it drain.
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Stu Jackson

Quote from: melp64 on August 16, 2023, 06:23:43 PM

I know I am going to get a lot of  grief for asking this question but what the heck I don't get how the galley sink drains going directly to a thru hull. Wouldn't the outside water come up the drain? I get the sink is above the water line but then how does it drain.

No grief at all.  It is basic fluid mechanics.  Yes the outside water comes up the drain.  But only TO the waterline.  The weight of the water above it forces it down when the sink fills with water.  That's pretty much all.

You can play all sorts of fun & games with clear plastic tubing and your dinghy if you want to see how it works.  Give it a try, it's fun.  :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Dan : After you've had the boat awhile you'll probably want to upgrade that sink drain.  There are articles in the Mainsheet tech notes and in WiKi on how to change your galley existing drain to a PVC drain that is less troublesome and drains much faster!!  A job for the future!!   :thumb:

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

melp64

I read that article last night I will probably do that right away, All those hoses will be replaced, as my wife has seen them now, and she wouldn't do anything with the boat knowing the condition they are in.  The wife is getting more enthused but shes more of do it right or don't do it at all. Which is a good thing. I am looking forward to installing all new pex piping in the boat I might do that as a winter project as my boat was moved right next to a plug so I could possibly put a heater in there and work in the winter.
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

Phil Spicer

Dan, I would presume your boat will winter on the shore of Lake Michigan. I have family in Grand Haven. I have
seen winter there. You may want to consider 2 heaters. Remember, sunny days create heat under the tarp.
Good luck with your winter projects
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.