Dock rash, Paint or gelcoat

Previous topic - Next topic

melp64

I have always figured on painting the bottom barrier coat and paint by myself I was hoping to have a buddy of mine that is a professional painter paint the top part of the hull. I was told that the marina does not allow any spray painting of the boats as they paint boats. So I am left with painting the part of the boat that everyone can see myself. I thought that maybe I could buff off the oxidation and wax it, until I remembered the dock rash. So I have 3 choices  1. fair out the rash and paint the boat my self. 2. try fixing the gelcoat, then buff and wax. 3. have the marina fix and paint the boat.
3 isn't a very good option for me, I can easily fair all the rash out it is the painting I am nervous about. Have any of you ever fixed that much dock rash how did you do it and did you paint or match the gelcoat.
Dan
1987 catalina 34, universal diesel, lots of work to do

KWKloeber

Many yards have an outsider who does gel coat matching/repairs.  Have you asked about you doing all the prep work (filling/fairing/fine sanding) and have them do the gel?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Melp : You sure have picked a strange Marina!! I've NEVER heard of a marina THAT DOES BOAT REPAIRS; that does not do gelcoat!! If there guys can't/won't - Maybe you need to go to another marina!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

melp64

Oh they do gelcoat and fiberglass repair. They also paint boats, this is why they wont allow me to have my painter come in and paint the boat. I know that I can't afford to have a marina paint the boat. I am left with rolling and tipping the upper part of the hull. They will allow you to roll and tip just not spray.
Dan

Noah

Your "rash" is pretty serious. However, a spot repair and good gelcoat repair should be adequate. It may not totally match, but few would notice. I would go that route before total hull repaint.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Breakin Away

Quote from: melp64 on July 31, 2023, 04:49:07 PM
Oh they do gelcoat and fiberglass repair. They also paint boats, this is why they wont allow me to have my painter come in and paint the boat. I know that I can't afford to have a marina paint the boat. I am left with rolling and tipping the upper part of the hull. They will allow you to roll and tip just not spray.
Awlgrip is a 2-part isocyanate that requires supplied air. It really is not a safe product for a DIYer to spray. It's possible that the yard does not want the liability associated with DIYers potentially cutting corners on safety, so they ban all spraying - both DIYers and 3rd party guys.

I know a couple body shop guys whose bosses did not value their safety and made them spray 2-part clearcoats with organic respirators because they were too cheap to get supplied air in their shop. They both quickly became sensitized and had to leave the business because once you're sensitized your airways will close up if you're anywhere near them. I also know a couple of R&D technicians at DuPont who were sensitized and had the same issue. I paint my own boat's bottom, but I wouldn't mess with the 2-part urethanes.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

KWKloeber

Quote from: melp64 on July 31, 2023, 04:49:07 PM

this is why they wont allow me to have my painter come in and paint the boat.   
they will allow you to roll and tip just not spray.

Most yards that allow self-work no matter what do not allow spraying.
There's too much liability about DIY-ers damaging others' boats.
A wise policy. 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Dan : You will NEVER find a marina that will let YOU spray paint!!

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like green paint rubbed into the gelcoat??  Have you tried acetone or MEK to see if the paint will dissolve? 

From my experience you'll never match 36 year old gelcoat. You'll have to repaint that entire hull from the water line up! - if you want a nice looking C34!!  I'd go for a new gelcoat job!!  Paint easily scratches and chips!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

melp64

The green is actually the fiberglass, those gouges are really deep.
Dan

pablosgirl

Hi melp64,

You can repair the gel coat without spraying. You will apply the gel coat with a roller, then sand, and then buff.  Prepare the repair area by sanding, then wash with soap and water.  Wipe with acetone just before applying the gel coat.  Get a gallon of white finishing gel coat and tint to match.  It will be difficult to match.  Mix up enough for the repair. First color match then add the catalyst when you are happy with the color.  Using a 9" foam roller, roll on the gel coat over the repair area.  Observe the flow out. If it is not leveling then "tip" the wet coat with a foal brush to lay down the roller stipple. Let dry. Then sand with 120 grit. Be careful to not thin out the old the old gel coat around the edge of the repair area. Check that the applied gel coat has filled the repair area.  If not wash, wipe with acetone and apply another coat of gel coat. Sand again and if surface is fair, then move through finer grit paper until you get to a 2000 grit. (Progress throug 220, 400,800, 1000, 1500, then 2000).  The surface of the repair will become progressively smother. Now use rubbing compound the further smooth the finish.  Follow up with buffing compound and then finish off with a good wax.  A lot of work, but doable.  Even if you sprayed the gel coat some amount of sanding and rubbing/buffing would be required to get a shine.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

rmjohns

We did some small dings using the matching gelcoat that Catalina Direct sells. It's pretty expensive for what you get, but the match was great. With a little buffing you can't tell where we did.   If you're looking at having the whole boat painted, it might be worth spending the $50 first and seeing what you can do with that little bit they sell.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Ron Hill

Dan : Like it or not the only way to get a good looking hull is by having a marina do your gel coat. 

I just don't know how you could get your boat hauled on to dry land and have your painter do the job?? with out being at a marina!?!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: rmjohns on August 07, 2023, 07:46:27 AM
We did some small dings using the matching gelcoat that Catalina Direct sells. It's pretty expensive for what you get, but the match was great. With a little buffing you can't tell where we did.   If you're looking at having the whole boat painted, it might be worth spending the $50 first and seeing what you can do with that little bit they sell.

Difficult to believe but CD is lower cost than Spectrum!

https://spectrumcolor.com/products/3500-catalina-white-80-88?rq=mk_catalina~md_white~yr_1987&variant=42677698101489