Recognize this windlass?

Previous topic - Next topic

Porchhound

Found a photo of the windlass. The arrow points at a slide (unfortunately it's on the aft side with just a bit showing). This lever is supposed to slide in a groove to allow the windlass to release for free fall, but it won't budge, so the windlass only retrieves while cranking. I'm trying to find info/manual to see if I'm just missing a step or if it's broken.
If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

KWKloeber

Call Peter Linwick @ Fla. Rigging and Hydraulics.  Tell him I said that if he can't help you the answer doesn't exist.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Porchhound

If human intelligence is insufficient, why think something artificial modeled after it would be better?

Phil Spicer

Found this Lewmar listed in the 2000 catalog as a 800/1000 windlass. Could this be what you are looking for?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Porchhound

BINGO! Thanks, Phil. Now maybe I can figure out what's wrong.

LogoFreak

I have that exact same windlass, to let it free fall you just need to loosen the clutch. Use one of your winch handles to loosen it (counter clockwise). You can see the where the winch handle goes on the top "plate".
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Porchhound

Thanks, Antoni. I've tried the counters clockwise with the handle and it won't budge. Does it have to haver weight of the anchor/ chain pulling on it? Any idea how to disassemble it?

LogoFreak

No weight needed from the anchor, if it won't budge then it's seized somehow. Turning that plate counterclockwise is how you take it apart. After you remove that the chain stripper and the gypsy can be removed. I have a diagram with an exploded view of it, could email it to you if you'd like.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

KWKloeber

Would you add the diagram to the wiki?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Porchhound

Thanks, Antoni. Please send the diagram. Do you use the handle counter clockwise to take it apart? There is a small black plastic cap covering something also.

Porchhound

Just an update on this windlass. Using more force on the winch handle I was able to move it counter-clockwise and free it up so the free-fall function would work. I used a ball peen hammer to tap the slide lock over and loosen it up. Taking the windlass apart I re-greased it and sprayed wd40 on the dogs and the slide lock lever, reassembled it, and it works great.

Ron Hill

Porch : It is definitely a Lewmar.  If you look in WiKi or the Mainsheet tech notes you'll see where I mounted a similar Lewmar Windlass inside the double door anchor well (vertical installation). 

You can do the same with your windlass if you're tired of having it on the deck.  My chain or nylon falls beautify into my split (for a 2nd anchor rode) anchor well. There are pictures and all the "How To " details!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Porchhound

Thanks, Ron. I'll look at that.