Voids in the Skeg

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

Hi All,

I recently had the hull blasted and then sanded in preparation for a coating of Coppercoat. The hull is in really good shape, but the skeg had a number of small voids and one larger one.

What causes these voids, and are voids in the skeg a common problem with C34s?
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWhat causes these voids, and are voids in the skeg a common problem with C34s?

It's the process that fiberglass boats are made.  First the gelcoat is sprayed into the female mold then the wet fiberglass is applied.  Sometimes voids happen.  If the applied fiberglass is the proper thickness no strength is lost.  I've found a few voids in my cockpit but don't think Catalina has any more issues than other production boats, probably less.  May be less problem with newer boats because they have to vacuum bag the curing molds, I think.
I would just fill the voids with your favorite faring compound.  Maybe tap around to see if you have any more.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

I agree with Jim.  Also, I assume you are applying several coats of epoxy primer/barrier coat (such as Interlux Interprotect 2000) to hull prior to CopperCoat regime?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KeelsonGraham

Yup, all now filled with epoxy. It just puzzled me that the hull was totally fine and only the skeg had problems.

CopperCoat doesn't recommend an epoxy barrier layer. It goes straight on to the gelcoat which is keyed using an 80 grit sander.

I'll post some pics when it's done.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Noah

I would do it anyway. Belt and suspenders.
Does COPPERCOAT protect against Osmosis?

"The inherent waterproofing qualities of the epoxy in COPPERCOAT will offer extra protection against osmosis in fiberglass craft and extra protection against corrosion in steel vessels. However, the COPPERCOAT application is so thin that it should not be relied upon as the only barrier coat if one is needed to protect the boat."
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ted Pounds

I found even bigger ones in my skeg when I redid my bottom.  Just filled them with epoxy filler and no problems. 👍
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Like others have said - fill in the voids with epoxy paste and the put on your Interlux 2000 with a roller and - you be good to go!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788